[3830] WPX CW WA8HSB SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 11:26:37 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WA8HSB
Operator(s): WA8HSB
Station: WA8HSB

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Mobile, AL (EM50vp)

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Started out Friday night experimenting with portable antennas in the backyard
and the great conditions sucked me in; made a third of my contacts before the
bugs forced me inside!  Continued experimenting on Saturday although conditions
during the afternoon were not very good.  Experimenting was with the K1 @ 5
watts on battery power to a couple different antennas; a BuddiStick and EFHW.

Used home station rig (TS-850s @ 5 watts and attic antenna farm) for Saturday
night and Sunday afternoon.  20m was interesting Saturday night with decent
conditions to EU and AS late into the night.  Sunday afternoon propagation was
horrible until about 2000z when signals started popping out of the noise
level.

Started Friday night old style with key plus pen and paper.  Kept using both
the remainder of the contest and loaded log into GenLog after the contest to
get ADIF and Cabrillo versions for uploading to ACLog and submission to CQ
contest robot.  Not the preferred way to do it nowadays but, it was fun to go
back in time a bit.

As always, I cannot say enough about the great operators on the other end who
persisted to dig my QRP signal out of the noise level; you are in a word
AWESOME!  Sending double digit serial numbers when most everyone else was in
the 4-digit category cause a number of repeats; 2-digit serials were not
expected on Sunday afternoon.

Had lots of fun and that is what it is all about.

73, John
WA8HSB