[3830] WPX CW K9CT M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 12:59:08 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K3WA K9CC K9CT K9ZO KB9OWD KK9K N9CK N9TK W9ILY
Station: K9CT

Class: M/M HP
QTH: IL

   40: 1111
   20: 2031
   15: 1899

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

We gathered a great team of CW operators for this contest...thanks for all of
the great team work. First timer John, W9ILY was welcomed and fit in very
quickly.

Band conditions were certainly not the same as the phone version but we did the
best we could. Storms were flaring up at various places and the static sometimes
caused issues for copy...we were very careful to copy the calls and numbers and
always asked for repeats if unsure.

The A index took a jump and we felt that it affected 10 and 15 and 80 to some
degree. 15m was quite often surprising but 20 was the steady band for most of
the contest. Our best rates were the first six hours of the contest...usually
we get our best rates during our morning runs to EU. The EU runs were good but
not great.

We ran at least three radios the majority of the time and sometimes four.
Conditions dropped off during the early morning hours and we always had two
radios on 40, 80 or 160. We kept an eye on 20 and 15 and did get some surprises
during darkness.

Our team goal was to better the W9 M/M record held by KT0R/9 since 1999. The
record was 10,464,531 and 979 mults. We passed that record about 23 hours into
the contest and were excited to see what we could do. We passed the 1292 prefix
cw record we had set in 2012 and ended up with 1413. It appeared to us that the
US record was not achievable with the conditions and we set our sights on
getting into the top 5 scores by hitting 20 million. The team was quite happy
to pass that and achieve 21 million as we reached the 48 hour mark.

Lots of celebrating at the conclusion with handshakes and high fives. Pizza and
beer at the post-game party was thoroughly enjoyed by the team before we parted
company.

We posted out score live on cqcontest.net and enjoyed watching others compete
duing the contest. I wish that everyone did this as it adds a completely
different level of enjoyment to the contest.

Station setup is on www.k9ct.us We only did a short stint with two radios on
the same band interlocked. Most operation was single operator on a band.

Congratulations to the NQ4I team...super job!!