[3830] WPX CW KT8K SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat May 31 14:00:45 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 29:10

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to all for the patience and repeat-requests.  I had a blast as always
though conditions were daunting here at times.

Getting up early the first morning wasn't worth as much as I'd hoped - 20m was
marginal and 15m didn't open until noon local.  Then 15 was up and down like
crazy for a few hours, and both 15 and 20 had long and deep QSB most of the
afternoon - tough when you're QRP as people lose you completely mid-QSO and
then, understandably, aren't willing to hang with it until the signals come
back up.

The last couple of hours were among my best.  Sunday morning 15m opened to EU
at 1200z, not 1600z like the day before, but then the noise level came way up
by 1700z Sunday and nobody could hear me on 15 or 20m - I had S7 noise on both
bands here.  For hours I could tell the propagation was just fine but it was
the noise level making me inaudible.  After 2200z Sunday evening things got
much better and I finished with a dash.

equipment:  Tentec Orion at 5 Watts
antennas:
- 20/40/80m 3-wire inverted W (it sags a lot these days), apex about 50 feet
up
- 500 foot zig-zag horizontal loop, some parts at 70' but  most at 15' and feed
point even lower, fed with TV twin lead (300 Ohm) and an LDG Z-11 autotuner
- none of the other antennas were doing very well, so these two had to do it
all, and they did great.
I should mention that I ran 6 to 18db of attenuation in both receivers
throughout - takes the noise level down a bit and decreases fatigue.  My wife
also bought me a new, cushy office chair for the station AND a special seat
cushion besides - comfort enables rate! (as long as you don't fall asleep)

Best reception to all and I look forward to working you in the next big
contest!
73 de kt8k - Tim