[3830] SS CW VE9AA SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 2 22:08:41 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 9:41

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Musings from a -MARitime- Madman
First snowfall of the year. Snowed with gusts much of the time SS was on.
Snow creates static (ugh). Tried to stay on highbands to battle noise.
When you are LP, it's tough to run a pileup, especially on the lowbands where
everyone hears everyone else. Often had to sent exchange twice.
There were lots of apparent rogue VY1 spots. GAH!
82/83 sections is not a sweep (sigh!) - feels a bit like a loss. (hi)
W6's on 15m had such a bad echo on them Sunday afternoon that I had to move to
10m.
Signals on 10m were HUGE a few times today and from coast to coast.
Wish more folks had checked out 10m more often as there was even backscatter
into W1 (etc.)
Did I mention that I am bummed about not snagging the 83rd section...?
Seemed to be a fair # of NB, NS and PEI stns milling about.
I worked 2 VO1's back to back. What are the chances? TNX !
In 600+ Q's I had perhaps a few dozen folks ask me again what my section was. A
couple of those asked me "NB"?
Seems like I got my SS fix for one year. Sunday afternoon was slow.
Gave up early, so no NT/NWT.....sigh.....still hurts to type that.
The call history file for SS that I downloaded sure had a lot of errors in it
and I am not referring to sections, as I know people move, vacation or
otherwise operate from different sections from time to time, but a lot of CHK's
were off by 1 year . It was interesting to note that SOME guys apparently had
anticpated this and were actually sending their CHECK slower. So, I guess
they've seen this poor SS call history file too. Copy what is sent ! Gotta love
N1MM+ for letting us type right along. No backspacing or anything. Correcting on
the fly is smooth.
No freq fights to speak of however one particular W1### guy (not anywhere
remotely close to W1) worked me, then prompty plunked down likely 100Hz above
and started working East Coast virtually on top of me. QUITE rude ! I just had
to give up my nice run frequency and move. Only running LP this time, I was
sunk. How people like that sleep at night makes me wonder.
Nice thing about this test was that it's a friendly contest and I thanked some
that I knew by name. (no QRZ lookup-just the grey stuff between my ears) Hope
the extra 3/4 of a second I used didn't waste your time ! Often was just a
"BOB TU DIT DIT" and got many nice replies.
I ran at 31-32wpm which sorta seemed fast, but slowed down to anyone calling me
at less than 25wpm. Hope it helped. Very few fills.
This was a SOAB LP(A) go, but I likely won't be doing it again anytime soon.
With compromise antennas, it's better to run HP and I find telnet distracting,
though sometimes interesting.
73 de Mike VE9AA "NB" IC7410, HF9V/A3S, N1MM+