[3830] SS CW VY1EI Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 11:55:43 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VY1EI
Operator(s): VY1EI
Station: VY1EI

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Going into this contest the plan was to work with K3TN on a multi low entry.
John was gracious enough to offer his assistance to work my station remotely.
Sweepstakes CW pileups still aren't quite my thing, and I try to enlist support
from an op who can pull a callsign out of the din.

We got the connection working well enough but just as the contest started, the
internet connection at my QTH went on the fritz. I'm fairly sure its the
internet router at  the commercial property where I operate. So after spending
some time trouble shooting, I decided to do a QRP entry.

It always was my plan to do a QRP entry in this contest at some point. I knew
the number of QSOs would be down quite a bit when I did that, so I probably
should have let the community know this would eventually come up. With the leg
work I did helping put NT on the air during 2012 and 2013 Sweepstakes CW, I
didn't have a problem doing a QRP entry. What I didn't anticipate was just how
difficult it was operating QRP. We are weak enough gas (quoting KL7RA)
operating from the north, going QRP as doesn't make it any easier. I struggled
to get over 100 contacts. I'm more of a QRO kinda guy and I doubt I will go
this route again.

My upcoming christmas contribution to the owners of the property where I
operate shall include some extra $ for a new router.

Sry that VY1EI was hard to come by.

Eric
VY1EI