[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 3 18:51:47 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 23:15

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Mostly fun but somewhat disappointing since my final score was below last year's
score which was made while operating remotely from Japan without SO2R.  I was
operating from home this year with SO2R but I just couldn't overcome the slow
rates on Sunday.  My goal was to set a new personal record but I fell short by
about 100 QSOs.

Good high band conditions are very helpful for stations on the West Coast and
places like TX and FL, but they sure hurt us in Ohio and surrounding states
because they suck up activity on 40 and 80 which are our key bands.  Since my
station in particular is maximized for low band activity (in other words, I
have crappy high band antennas) I think this hurts me even more than most.  In
2010, I was running on 80 at 2345Z and racked up 626 contacts there.  This year
I couldn't get anything going until after 0130Z and even then rates were
mediocre and I had less than half of my 2010 total contacts.  Of course, 40
makes up for some of 80's loss, but, as many have noted, 40 was practically
deserted on Sunday afternoon.  If you weren't running on the high bands on
Sunday, you were losing.

I had a few equipment problems this year.  My homemade SO2R box malfunctioned
late Saturday night and was only half useable all of Sunday.  And several of my
antennas have developed high SWR levels, requiring the use of the K3's tuner.  I
really need to replace some coax cables and do some other PM.

I was really surprised to hear that there was a VY1 station on.  I tuned and
tuned and tuned and never heard a peep from one.  Most of the other mults came
pretty easily, although NL and WV had me worried.  I only remember working one
station in PR, VI, WY and NE.  WV, SFL and EWA were also pretty rare.  On the
other hand, sections that have been hard to find in recent years (MB, RI, KY)
were well represented this time.  It seemed like every other station was from
MDC.

Until next year....

73, Hal W1NN
Medina, Ohio