[3830] SS CW WX0B(AD5Q) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 18:13:22 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Dallas

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Hmmm. It looks like most scores are down from last year. Now I don't feel so
bad. I wrote a small program that shows my own complete line score from the
prior year (band totals, with mults, current 10M rate & totals) updated
every minute. It also shows the numbers for one other log, in this case NR5M's.
At all times I knew I was trailing my score from last year, and this is the
first time using this program where I failed to beat the prior year. I came
within about 5 QSO's of 2013 twice during the contest, then started slipping
behind again. I could also see that NR5M was trailing his score from last year.
Now it's evident that activity was down.

I started on 15, and quickly noticed the activity on 10. The western US was
working everything east, starting off with a big lead - and I was tempted to
join the party. Since the skip on these openings is usually too long to include
W8 & W9 from here, I was risking giving up my good frequency on 15 for lower
rate, and decided to stay.

I had some LUA glitches at first - several awkward QSOs where either the
headphones or the sending was switched to the wrong radio. I continued manually
switching the 2nd radio contacts until the 3 hour "halftime break"
after midnight, where I fixed the problems instead of sleeping. I never slept
at all, though I did try.

I thought the activity was relatively good on Sunday morning - that I maybe
just chose the wrong band to run on. The activity in this contest is impacted
by social phenomena I don't really understand (church and football), not
propagation. I'm ready to try again next year, and know what I will do
differently.

Roy -- Aspie Ducky Five Quack