[3830] WAE RTTY OP3DI(ON3DI) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 10 08:08:18 EST 2014

                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: OP3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: OP3DI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  540   0     0     0  Total Score = 400,000

Hi,

After the CQ WW and the WPX this is the biggest contest of the year. Anyway
during the week before the contest I was doubting to participate (yes strange
for me ;-)). But I knew to I would regret to mis the contest so I installed
everything.
No goals, no targets, just trying to make some fun.

I made the decision to contest with the special OP-prefix, probably you will
know me as ON3DI (some om asked me if it wasn't ON3DI instead of OP3DI, no no
:D) but we may use during the month november the OP-prefix, it gives us a
chance to remember the first world war. We must remember them!!!

I started on 80m on how! I was the first time that 5-6-7 stations called me at
the start of a contest, what a motivation! One of the stations was RG9A, always
nice to work DX, certainly on 80m with the dipole. After one hour I had 40 QSO's
not so bad. 80m was ok during the whole contest, worked some USA, always nice!

40m - This band was in a better shape then during the WW RTTY, I was able to
work more DX. Not so many DX responded my CQ, but via S&P I could work them
quiete easily.

20m - I had fun on this band, I may only work between 14080-14085, very small
but I was able to call CQ and had some reaction. Always nice definitly in heavy
QRM. Most nice QSO was with VK3TDX but I worked also the state Arkansas who came
back on my CQ.

15m - I am surprised that I have only 50 QSO's on this band but I guess that I
stayed to long on 10m. Anyway worked DX on this band also. I felt that FT4TA
was active, a bit pitty during a contest, they could work on WARC bands no?

10m - 10m was open, yes! A lot of acitivity on I must say it is my favourite
band (together with 40m). I was easy to work PY, VK, JA, K, ... Worked also a
nex DXCC namely TG Guatemala. I worked him with ON3DI, better for my awards
then with OP3DI.

I have 'lost' a lot of time to work some nice DX stations but it was with joy.
The result is far bellow that of last year but I had fun and that is the most
important thing.

During the contest I saw some JA stations on 10m in SSB. Normally I do not
combine contests but this time I liked to give it a shot. Worked for the first
time JA in SSB, it was (off course) JH4UYB, what a station, what signal. Worked
him with OP3DI and OP3DI. On sunday I worked some other JA stations on 10m, they
were strong so a sign that the conditions were good. I was nice that I could
test the new dipole on 10m and it works fine. Worked also JA6GCE with 5w on
10m, lovely!!

I haven't exchanged QTC's, with Winwarbler it isn't possible and I must say I
am not a big fan of the QTC's. I liked it in SSB (for improving your skills),
but it is a bit pointless in RTTY. I heard that there were also some problems
with QTC's and N1MM+, pitty but you have to give the makers of N1MM+ some
credits, it is still a fantastic logprogram for free!!

The signal of the contest for me was VK3TDX, he was so strong. I worked him on
15m but I lost a small hour. On 10m I called only once and I had him. On 20m I
have worked him two times, again with OP3DI and ON3DI. He was stronger then
some locals or some strong UT or RA stations, unbelievable. Pitty I haven't
worked him on 40m. I asked him if he would go to 40m and he told yes, but I
couldn't wait for two hours, I was QRT. I was already surprised that he
responded the question.

The rates on saturday were ok but like last year the participationdegree drops
on sunday, a bit pitty, it is a nice contest! That is also the reason that I
only operated 27 hours, normally not my style....

I have been spotted 7 times, nice! Most of the time they spot me on 40m but now
I have been spotted on 15m and 10m also, thank you (KE8M, WB4IUY, 4Z4DX, RM3DA
and UA0AV)!

My buddy ON4BHQ has also a nice result, congratulations! Always nice to chat
with you during the contest on facebook!

The WW RTTY was a dissapointment for me, I hadn't reached my goal of 1000 QSO's
and worked to litle DX, that was definitly better during this contest. Goal
reached I had fun!

Thanks for working me and I will be active with the OP-prefix again this month
so please work me!

Thanks to my parents for all the support!

Next contest will be the nice OK/OM DX RTTY contest in december!

All the best,

Pieter OP3DI - ON3DI

P.S.: score is not correct