[3830] SS SSB WA3AER SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 18 11:12:09 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WA3AER
Operator(s): WA3AER
Station: WA3AER

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Flex5000
Amp: AL-80A
Antennas: Hex Beam, roof-mounted vertical, ZS6BKW

Getting started Saturday was a real slog for me. It felt more like torture than
anything. IMO, the band conditions Saturday evening were strange, particularly
on 40M, where it seemed longer-distance stations were easier to work than
anything close by. I "gave up" about midnight to sleep and got back
on the air at 0400EST to find NADA perking on the bands. That was almost the
final nail, but some little voice told me to try again later. At 0800EST after
another nap, things looked better; and after a break to eat, my butt got glued
to the chair until 1900EST when my body complained enough that I quit for
dinner and to sack out.

So, Sunday was "more like it" for me. And, although geomagnetic
conditions were still Unsettled, band conditions were more normal. I was
surprised not to have worked more stations on 10M, since 15M was also quite
active and 10M was certainly open.

Lessons Learned: Don't give up. Get rid of the ZS6BKW (I had just gotten an
80/40M loaded dipole to fit my small urban yard, but hadn't time to set it up).
Set up the blinkin' voice keyer so I can run and not go hoarse (procrastination
is not your friend!). SS is not a DX contest, so don't get up SO early; just go
to bed later.