[3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 23 13:03:19 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: North Carolina

I usually do not operate domestic contests however the ARRL Sweepstakes is a
very popular fun event with some unique challenges. The biggest challenge is
working all 83 sections for the sweep. Typically Northern Territories and
sometimes Puerto Rico are the most difficult to find but this year I had
several stations in these sections call me early in the contest. West Virginia
was mysteriously missing from my log for the first 11 hours until I found one
CQing on 80m and afterwards many more called me. The most difficult multiplier
this year for me was Newfoundland /Labrador. Since I operated assisted, I had
access to the spotting network and I could easily see what was on all bands at
any given time. I really did not use this feature until the second day when I
found VO1MP spotted on 20m. He was easy to work and it was a relief to have the
sweep with 7 hours of operating time left. From this location, 40m is the money
band and on the first night I was lucky to find and keep a very clear frequency
for a number of hours.  I had rates over 100 per hour until a broadcast station
started up and force me to QSY to 80m. The short skip was also good on 20m and
it was my second best band. 15m and 10m had great opening to the west, but as
always they produced no rate for those not in the western sections. I probably
spent more time on 15m than I should have however  I did work a number of west
coast QRP stations that I would probably not have heard on the QRM filled 20m
and 40m bands. Toward the end I used the spotting network more for finding new
stations which kept be busy during slower times. I wish that I pushed myself to
use the second radio even more at times but another Sweepstakes challenge is
copying the long exchange on a second radio without losing your run frequency.
I ran out of operating time before the last hour which may not have been a good
contest strategy but this contest ends way too late on a Sunday night in the
Eastern Time zone.  My station worked flawlessly and I would like to thank
everyone for their QSO. Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A