[3830] TxQP WB0TEV SO SSB Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Oct 2 13:02:28 EDT 2014

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SO SSB Mobile LP
QTH: 27 Tx Counties

  160:
   80:           2
   40:         212
   20:         445
   15:         131
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   0     790      0  Mults = 106  Total Score = 194,480

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Score includes 27,000 bonus points for activating 27 Tx counties with 5 or more
QSOs.

Rig: Yaesu FT-757
Antennas: Hustler 40/20/15/10 resonators all on the same mast, replaceable with
single 80m resonator
Platform: 1986 Pontiac Parisienne

Another TxQP has come and gone and "the olde grey lady" (my antenna
festooned 1986 Pontiac) had a grand time covering about 550 miles and 27
counties.

Prior to the contest I'd published my route plan on my qrz.com page and sent
out notices of same to some of the most frequent callers I'd worked in March's
Oklahoma QSO Party and last years TxQP.

For most of Saturday I was able to keep to within just a few minutes of my
published schedule where I aimed for at least 20-25 minutes in each county with
a goal of getting on 40, 20 and 15 from each.  That always didn't work out. For
example I had such a good pileup going on 20m as I drove across Titus county
that I was still getting a steady stream when I reached the next county and had
no more time to go to another band.

I didn't realize it at the time, but Upshur county also was one from which I
only made 20m QSOs.  In contrast, while in Panola county I was only successful
on 40m & 15m.  Late Saturday night, the short amount of time (10 minutes
each) I spent catching the corners of Anderson and Henderson counties in my
push to be close to my overnight hotel in Smith county conspired to make those
40m only activations.

When I was about 4 miles from my hotel in Tyler, with 30 minutes to go  I
pulled off into a parking lot, removed the 40/20/15/10 stack from the Hustler
mast and put on the 80m resonator.  Only made two QSOs on 80m and the 20
minutes I spent switching resonators and then getting the 40/20/15/10 stack
back in place with 10 minutes to go probably would have been better spent just
staying on 40 and 20.  But hope for 80m springs eternal.  Thanks to KD5YUK in
BOWI and N5MLP in MGMY for seeing my spot and working me on 3838 kHz.

Had some really great runs on 20m during the day and 40m really came to life
starting about 2300Z Saturday.

While I had a 28 county plan, I had to drop Rains county Sunday afternoon.  I
had planned to hit the road again at 1700Z after going to church Sunday AM with
my daughter in Smith county, but they had a potluck dinner that ran a little
long and I didn't get on the road again until almost 1800Z.  By omitting the in
and out incursion into Rains I was eventually able to get back on my planned
time line and made it to my last planned county line (ROCK/COLN) 10 minutes
before the closing bell.  13 QSOs from Collin county on 40m ensued ensuring the
county activation bonus.  Managed to pick up 2 more Tx counties in those closing
minutes as well.

Many thanks for those who *accurately* spotted me at ch.w6rk.com especially
N8OYY and KK5MR. Those especially brought out the county hunter types.

As with a growing number of Single Op SSB mobile types, I drive and operate
continuously, record the whole thing on digital audio/video recorders and then
play the whole thing back after the contest to transcribe a log. (Guess what I
did for most of the first couple of days after the contest!)    I really didn't
have a good feel for how I was doing in terms of multipliers (or QSO totals) and
was pleasantly surprised by the growing numbers during playback and log
transcription.

And now some statistics:

MOST FREQUENT WORKED STATIONS:
# QSOs     Call(s)
19         OM2VL
18         N8OYY
16         NT2A
15         WA4WKL
14         N4PN, NJ5W
12         WA3HAE, WD5DDH
11         KK5MR,SP9LJD, W7GDK
10         AJ5ZX
9          K4BAI
8          N5MLP
7          KE4ZS,K5IZO,K7DTB,KJ5LTA,N3RM,N4JT,N5SJS,W0UO,WA6KHK
6          NA2NY, W0ZQ, W1ATV, W6AFA
5          K0AE, KC0ZVN, KC3X, N1LN, N4MUJ,N9QS

MULTIPLIERS: 106 Total
40 States (missed AK,HI,KS,ME,MT,ND,NH,OR,UT);
3 Provinces: VE3, VE4, VE7
4 DX (OM,PY, SP, YV)
59 Texas Counties: ARAN, AUST, BAND, BAST, BELL, BEXA, BOWI, BURN,
BZIA,BZOS,CAME,CAMP,CASS,CHER,COLN,CORY,DALS,DENT,DEWI,ELLI,EPAS,ERAT,
GOLI,GREG,GUAD,HAMI,HARR,HUNT,IRIO,JOHN,KINN,LASA,LUBB,MATA,MEDI,MGMY,
MILL,MLEN,MOTL,NACO,PARK,POTT,REEV,ROCK,RUSK,SABI,SAUG,SHER,SMIT,SOME,
TARR,TGRE,UVAL,WALL,WARD,WICH,WLSN,WMSN,WOOD

MOST FREQUENTLY WORKED MULTS:
#QSOS     MULT
43        GA
40        FL
39        AZ
37        NC
36        PA
33        CA
29        EPAS
29        NY
25        IL
24        OH
23        AL
22        WV

QSOs/Clock Hr

DAY/HR	       80m	40m	20m	15m	TOTAL
SAT-1400	0	13	68	18	99
SAT-1500	0	 4	62	12	78
SAT-1600	0	11	28	10	49
SAT-1700	0	 1	36	28	65
SAT-1800	0	 5	64	 0	69
SAT-1900	0	 3	51	12	66
SAT-2000	0	 2	64	 1	67
SAT-2100	0	39	 0	 7	46
SAT-2200	0	 0	 0	 0	 0
SAT-2300        0	18	 5	 6	29
SUN-0000	0	50	20	 0	70
SUN-0100	2	14	10	 0	26
SUN-1400	0	 0	 0	 0	 0
SUN-1500	0	 0	 0	 0	 0
SUN-1600	0	 0	 0	 0	 0
SUN-1700	0	 0	 2	 3	 5
SUN-1800	0	15	20	 8	43
SUN-1900	0	38	15	25	78

QSOs & Minutes /COUNTY
COUNTY	80m	40m	20m	15m	TOTAL		Minutes
HUNT	0	 3	30		33		23*
FANN	0	 9	30	 9	48		46*
LAMA	0	 1	36	 9	46		39*
DELT	0	 3	24	12	39		31
HOPK	0	 5	18	 2	25		29
FRAN	0	 4	12	 0	16		22
RRIV	0	 3	 9	 8	20		24@
TITU	0	 0	32	 0	32		23
MORR	0	 0	44	11	55		52*
BOWI	0	 6	 1	17	24		40@
CASS	0	 2	23	 1	26		28*
MARI	0	 1	15	 1	17		23
UPSH	0	 0	41	 0	41		31
CAMP	0	 1	18	12	31		21
GREG	0	23	15	 2	40		49
HRSN	0	 8	25	 0	33		30
PANO	0	10	 0	 7	17		20@
RUSK	0	17	18	 4	39		42
CHER	0	28	 7	 0	35		40
ANDE	0	18	 0	 0	18		10
HEND	0	 9	 0	 0	 9		10
SMIT	2	 9	24	 3	38		83
WOOD	0	 1	 5	 0	 6		11
VZAN	0	13	 3	11	27		32
KAUF	0	 6	13	 5	24		23
ROCK	0	19	 2	17	38		35*
COLN	0	13	 0	 0	13		10*@

* = includes a county line stop
@ = largely a non-moving park and operate condition

I may lose some to log checking but 790 QSOs, 106 mults, 13 hours on the road
added up to a whole lot of fun!  I'm already looking forward to next year.

73,
Victor - WB0TEV
Greenville (Hunt County) Texas