[3830] CaQP K6LA SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 5 19:03:49 EDT 2014

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: LANG

  160:    23      2
   80:   110     73
--------------------
Total:  1295   1179  Mults = 57  Total Score = 355,851

No Saskatchewan (VE5)!!! A couple of Manitobians (VE4s) told me they turn the
power off in VE5 on the weekends. Never heard one, but I see somebody worked a
VE5 as there was a sweep. That cost me a new county record.

Conditions were great. 10m was wide open, even to EU.

No visits from Murphy, except an air conditioning glitch due to operator error.
It was close to 100F outside this weekend in LA(NG). My shack/home office is in
a detached garage that has a flat asphalt roof. It gets real hot. In fact, a
few years ago, I had to change all my coax that ran from the tower across the
roof because the heat melted the outer shield. The coax now resides in PVC that
is a few inches about the roof. Anyway, it gets real hot in the shack as there
is no insulation in the ceiling. A wall mounted A/C was never up to the task,
so I bought a portable one a few years ago. I ran the exhaust hose through the
shack closet out the garage storage closet to vent in the driveway. I used the
computer inside the house the last few times we had a big heatwave, so I didn't
check the exhaust piping. When it got to be 87F in the shack, I checked and the
exhaust pipe had pulled out and the hot air was all going into the closet and
back into the shack.

Overall, this was fun, despite the heat and the lack of a VE5.

73, Ken, K6LA