[3830] 432FallSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Oct 9 19:10:44 EDT 2014

                    432 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 15  Mults = 9  Tot Dist(km) = 2480  Total Score = 135

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Arrived at FN04na an hour ahead of time, set up generator and plugged a heater
into the extension cord, warmth at last in a contest.  Turned car off.  Noticed
30 minutes later the headlights were on, oops.  Off now.

The contest got off to a good start. 7 qso's in the first hour.  Also faintly
heard FM19 faintly signing, could not get his attention or call. Did work K8TQK
who was best odx at 651 km. In the second hour, got 4 more qso's.  Heard K1TEO
once, then gone forever.  Missed a good one.

Time to change grids.  Secured the antenna and interior and went to start the
car, nothing, totally dead.  Now in survival mode, middle of nowhere and
temperature 44F not including wind chill.  Moved the Honda 2 kw generator to
the front of the car, got the battery charger out (rovers need them) and the
trouble light.  Partially charged, would not start, fully charged started fast.
 One full hour lost. The prime  issue now was to validate myself as a rover by
getting at least 1 qso in another grid.  Off to FN03mu, my home grid, as
planned FN03nx was in a farmers field in the open country.  Left antenna
anchored and vehicle running and aimed at 250 degrees.  As expected I got more
qso's, 4 in 10 minutes in fact with 3 mults.  Chose to head home while all is
well.

Hindsight is great.  I should have plugged the extension cord into the genny to
have heat and power while charging the car battery, and continued contesting,
knew of others I could have worked in that hour and remained productive.

Average qso distance - 165 km.

Calls in order worked:

FN04NA

VE3EU    EN93
VA3ELE   FN03
AB2YI/R  FN03
W9KXI    FN12
VE3DS    FN03
K8TQK    EM89
KA2LIM   FN12
K8ZES    FN02
VA3WV    EN93
VE3ZV    EN92
VE3JVG   FN03

FN03MU

VA3ELE   FN03
VE3XTM   EN93
VE3ZV    EN92
VE3DS    FN03

Thanks to all who participated, and those who gave me qso's.  Thanks also to
the SVHFS committee for sponsorship and to Bruce Horn for this great means of
posting results.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R