[3830] SAC SSB OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 12 16:40:12 EDT 2014

                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: OG6N
Operator(s): OH6NIO
Station: OG6N

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Mieto

Total: 1108   221  Total Score = 546,091

Part time operation. We had some visitors overnight. Unfortunately my shack is
next to the guest room so I had to QRT during the night to let the people to
have some shut eye. I should consider a voice bank for silent phone operations.
I guess that I did not really miss much considering the poor propagation.

Before the contest I had to check a power divider box that had not been working
correctly for a long time. Finally after some detective work I found a faulty
connector in the shack and fixing it solved the problem. I also fixed a
persistent ground loop related buzz on the 2nd radio mic cabling by using a
line transformer to break the DC-path. The second radio was only running
barefoot because I had no time to setup a second amplifier. No significant
technical problems occurred during the contest except that I had to turn down
the power on 10m to 500W due to interference to a power supply.

The propagation was a bit tricky. 10m was open (sort of) at start but the rates
were not very good. 15m was slightly open to the states but only a handful of
stations were workable. My usual money band 15m went down pretty quickly. The
aurora can clearly be seen from the continent statistics. Only 5% of the QSOs
were from NA. I was listening on 20m in the night when OH8X was exploiting the
northern opening working stations from USA many of which I could barely hear
let alone work. In the morning the lack of NA and DX conditions meant that f1
key was in heavy use. It took quite long before EU was awake and filling the
log. It was nice to notice that the propagation allowed 15m to open into Japan.
Towards the end 10m seemed to improve and many nice multipliers came into the
log during the last hour. Too bad the recovery was too late to meet the gap of
NA stations in my log.

Equipment:
2xFT1000MP + AL80A 700W.
Antennas: 2-5 element monoband yagis + a dipole on 80m.