[3830] NyQP W2M/M MobileMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 19 15:24:39 EDT 2014

                    New York QSO Party

Call: W2M/M
Operator(s): W3NO AD8J
Station: W2M/M

Class: MobileMixed HP
QTH: 9 counties

----------------------------
Total:  804     82      0  Mults = 86  Total Score = 145,340

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

W3NO (Doug) is from Cecil, PA and AD8J (John) is from Asheville, NC.  We try to
combine forces to operate both the PA and NY contests. This year we decided to
try going mobile instead of our usual M/M operation from YAT with wire
antennas.  Our plan was to hit 9 counties, and then repeat 3 of them on 80
meters after dark.  We allocated 60 minutes for each county visit and were able
to stick pretty close to that schedule.  We did have some rain during the day
with pretty heavy rain the last two hours.  At least by then we were on the
Interstate and heading back to the hotel in Olean.  The shack was a 2008 Honda
Accord with Hamsticks on a custom roof mount.  The rig was a Kenwood TS-480SAT
driving a Heathkit SB-220.  Power was supplied by a 3.6 KW generator mounted on
a trailer hitch platform.  Everything worked well and we never had to employ any
of the backup gear that we carried.  We had an eyeball with K8MR/M in Tompson
County and were able to chat and take some pictures.  Thanks to everyone that
kept working us as we changed counties.  It's always interesting to note that
many times the QRP stations are stronger than the fixed stations.  It's also
amazing at the number of EU stations that can easily beat out many US stations
in the piles.