[3830] IlQP W9QL Fixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 20 16:25:36 EDT 2014

                    Illinois QSO Party

Call: W9QL
Operator(s): W9QL
Station: W9QL

Class: Fixed LP
QTH: Lake County

  160:
   80:              78
   40:             312
   20:             130
------------------------
Total:     0       520  Mults = 129  Total Score = 67,080

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Well, Murphy decided to pay me several visits during this year's ILQP. First, my
Heil headset stopped working right before the start. I was able to use the
microphone portion but wound up using my Bose "airplane" travel
headset to listen with. So, I was essentially wearing two headsets for eight
hours. Very comfortable. Then, midway through the contest, my logging program
locked up and I had to restart it. That locked up the comm port to the rig, so
I had to manually track band changes. Band conditions were not good at all. I
started on 20 to give out-of-state  stations a chance to work Illinois. Lot's
of 2's and 4's but really nothing west of the Mississippi. 40 was better but
still not great. Went back to 20 later in the day, finally worked some west
coast. Thought I would hear more IL county activity on 80, but it seemed less
than last year. Finished on 40 with a good run. A highlight was when John,
ON4UN, called me from Belgium on 20. He was louder than anything stateside!
Worked a total of 80 counties this time, might be a record for me.
Unfortunately, more than 100 Q's less than last year, but still a good time.
Thanks, as always, to the mobiles and county lines who really did a great job.

Dave
W9QL

FTDX5000MP with a G5RV at 35 feet.