[3830] NyQP K8MR RoverMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 20 21:29:24 EDT 2014

                    New York QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: RoverMixed LP
QTH: 7 Counties

   40:  145     92      0
   20:  182      5      0
   15:   51      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  380     97      0  Mults = 93  Total Score = 79,701

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Helped along by a plea by NW2K, my wife & I headed up to New York for the
weekend to visit former neighbors in Pittsford, and for me to spend a day
driving around the Finger Lakes and making a few QSOs in the NYQP.

I did this two years ago, and it was a beautiful way to spend a day.
Unfortunately this year was cloudy, windy, and short but frequent rain showers.
But the radio was good. I operated only while parked, using the "33 Foot
HamStick" on 40 and 15, and the seven foot HamSticks on 20 and 10. Actual
operating time was about 5.5 hours, 3.5 hours of driving and putting the
antenna up and down (less than 10 minutes per operation), and I was back home
by 0030Z to be sociable.

Conditions were good. Forty was good at the start, but not much activity on 20.
By mid afternoon that had switched, excellent short openings on 20 to places as
close as Ohio and WPA, while 40 meter activity seemed to drop off somewhat. It
was good to have a number of DX stations following me around - I hope more EU
will take up chasing us relatively weak mobiles around the counties in our QSO
Parties here in the States.

Neatest QSO: while approaching Ithaca I heard a car horn and noticed a car
parked alongside the road with a couple of whips. Sure enough, it was AD8J and
W3NO, operating W2M. I pulled over, had eyeball QSOs, and one QSO on 20 CW for
the TOM multiplier.

The weather added injury to insult shortly after. While set up in a city park
at the south end of Cayuga Lake, a storm blew in. I noticed the antenna
whipping a bit, but then a bit later I QSY'd to 15 meters to find a horrible
VSWR, with an antenna laying on the ground with the DK9SQ fiberglass mast
broken where it passed through the tripod mount. So I packed up and proceeded
home, stopping for a few QSOs in Cayuga and Seneca counties on the way home.

It was still a good trip. Next time if it's raining maybe I'll stop at a few of
the 20 wineries (and couple of brew pubs) I passed on the way.

Next stop: off to West Virginia tomorrow to help out in their W1AW/8 operation,
from the very excellent QTH of WT8V.

73  -  Jim  K8MR