[3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 16:11:39 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: nb

   40:   39     9       23
   20:   50    12       14
   15:  109    17       49
   10:  303     8       44

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

A minor crisis here mid morning Saturday put me off the air destroying any
chance I had to put in a real full bore iron pants effort.  I had planned for
weeks to do a 24hr classic spread over the weekend, concentrating on the high
bands, but just as I was showing a "last 10" of 480, I had to pull
the plug .

Such is life.

In what little time I was on, it was a major splatter fest. I literally coujld
not get within 3 or 4 kHz of many of the EU crowd.  Even some guys that were
only S7 or 8 here were just as wide.  Amazing.(in a bad way)....where's my CW
filter? (HI)

I spent only a little time on 40m and although the EU's were 5/9+10 or 20dB
here, I had to call many times for them to peice my call together.  I can only
imagine than within EU the "wall of splatter" was 40 or 50/9.  I
found a spot way down low, probably encroaching on CW territory and the few I
worked said I was real loud....however never could get a run going.

In the early morning (Sat.) the situation wasn't much better on 15m. The EU's
were mostly over S9 but I could call CQ for 3-4 minutes between callers.  I
S&P'd up the band at rates of 100-150 and got many nice comments on audio
and signal reports, so I can only imagine that 15m too, was packed there with
QRM.

I moved to 10m where I knew the prop was just beginning to open to EU and had
reasonable elbow room and ran like the dickens, having bursts of 350-480 and
the best hour just before I QRT'd of 260.  Not bad for 500w and an A3S @
24'...10m F2 sure is a great equalizer when you don't have much for a station.

I am sure there'll be some extreme comments on this one.  Can't wait to read
the 3830 reports.

Hopefully the dam won't break and the creek won't rise for the CW portion of

73 and thanks much for those that called.  It IS appreciated.  Nice to say
hello to many friends like DH8BQA, ED7P, A92GE, K3LR, NQ4I, KL7RA, ZF2DX and
the multitude of DL's I work every year in WAG, etc.

Mike VE9AA IC7410 (no compression seemed best to coexist on the band) Yamaha
headset, N1MM+, small amp, A3S @ 24' & HF9V for 40m