[3830] CQWW SSB WF7T SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 21:03:51 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WF7T
Operator(s): WF7T
Station: WF7T

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH:

   40:   42    12       26
   20:   31    12       22
   15:   86    16       43
   10:  371    27       88

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I was encouraged by the SSN/SFI and decided to play as much as possible, albeit
not a full effort. Had a symphony and late dinner with my XYL on Friday evening
so no radio until late Saturday local.

10M was hinting at greatness on Saturday evening at sunset so I made plans to
wake up early--rare for me--to catch 10M sunrise my Sunday local. I fiddled
around on the bands...nothing serious.

I made note how Sunday morning, around 2AM local, EU was BOOMING in on 20M.
Unfortunately all yagis across the pond were pointed elsewhere. I wished for a
nice high stack of yagis to get some attention--in my dreams from this
location! 3AM, I decided I better get get a few hours of sleep.

Up before daybreak Sunday. 10M was getting ready to burst but it was not quite
heated up by Old Sol yet. I hit the loud EU band-openers, then tuned 15M for an
hour more until 10M was cooking by 1400Z.

WOW! The band was wall-to-wall Europe, all workable! When was the last time
that happened? Remember, I run barely 100W to a poorly tuned two-element yagi
at 35 feet, the very definition of the little pistol! At one point I had a
brief EU run going on 29.200MHz!

A weird glitch caused my VOX to stop working, forcing a reboot of all devices,
and bringing the awesome run to the close. I lost that nice CQ frequency to a
TCG brother K4RO...considering his standing I was happy to relinquish the spot.
Plus, it allowed the necessary breaks for coffee and what-not.

Ten being so good, I forgot about any of the bands for the remainder and just
had fun mostly S&Ping. I peeked at the spots late in the game so I changed
my entry class to assisted to be on the up-and-up. I considered running the 10M
Low assisted category, but this was just for fun. FUN FUN FUN!

Thank you to everyone for the QSOs. I am amazed by the skill level of the
majority of operators this weekend; they made the contest a real pleasure. Yes,
there was some wacky audio (I hope I was not one of them!) but for the most part
everything was pretty great.

All my best, and see you from PJ4 in CQ WW CW next month, and SS CW in a week!

73 Brad WF7T
Nashville, TN

Log Submitted: 1510196.cq-ww-ssb

---

IC-7600 at 100
40M Dipole at 30'
2el tribander at 35'
N1MM Classic 14.9 <- I do intend to upgrade!

(TNX PJ4DX Steve! See you soon, neighbor!)