[3830] CQWW SSB N9TF SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 22:15:50 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:   19     7       12
   20:  177    22       67
   15:  210    24       64
   10:  324    23       78

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Positives, excellent band conditions. Lots and lots of DX to pick through. Had a
great time S&Ping my way through the thick, very thick at times, wall of
stations, one on top of the other. That part was painful. (Give me CW contest
any day!) Negatives, Many ops need to test out their mic gain and audio quality
before contest weekend and maybe cut back the mic gain a bit. Found myself going
back into log to make corrections several times when other station said worked
before! Then there were many, and I mean many stations that went on for ever
weeding through many callers and not identifying. To those who do this,
especially for long periods of time, that's just bad operating. I usually
waited five contacts for the DX station to identify before qsying up or down to
find another station.
Other than those negatives, it was a lot of fun. I set out with a couple of
goals in mind, minimum of 500 Q's, and score a personal best for this contest.
I chose to play in the "Classic" category, and work stations the old
fashioned way, just tuning up and down the bands. I did try calling a few
times, mainly on 10m, but I usually got bumped around, a lot! 100 watts and a
low 2 element triband don't hold a freq for very long :( S&Pd my way up and
down the bands, looking for new calls. After the first couple of layers, it got
tougher to pull stations out of the QRM. I feel like I have a head cold, but
I'm sure it's still all the ringing in my ears from all that squaking riddled
through my ears! 10m was a blast. I don't ever remember a time when I heard
some many signals on that band and so high in the band, at least as high as
29.250 mid morning Sunday morning.
Had a lot of fun. Now gotta get ready for SS next weekend! Logging program good
and ready and working. CW presets programmed and working. Ready to go!!

Station conditions: Icom IC-756PROIII 100 watts, TH2-MK3 2 element triband at
37' and 80m OCF dipole at 35' apex.

73 Gene, N9TF