[3830] CQWW SSB KH6/NN7SS(K6UFO) SOSB(A)/20 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 22:59:14 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6/NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: KH6/NN7SS

Class: SOSB(A)/20 QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 2
Remote Operation

   20:  23     8        14
Total:  23     8        14  Total Score = 1,056

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I had used this KH6 station remotely for JARTS RTTY, so I thought I'd
try it during CQ WW SSB too.  I noticed in the CQ WW Records for
Oceania  there was no entry in SO QRP (A) 20m or 40m. I only planned
to operate a few hours the first day, so 20m would work better for me
than 40m. I setup the remote equipment early Friday and tested it
on the target site and another site.  All seemed well.

At the opening bell, 20m wasn't really open from KH6 to anywhere. The
few USA and Caribbean I could hear were weak and running stations
louder than me, so at QRP I couldn't get noticed. So, time for a break...
I checked the propagation maps and with SFI 218, the MUF around
Hawaii was over 40 MHz - not good for 20m band :) The X Class Flare
just 2 hours earlier wasn't helping either.

An hour later conditions were much better and I worked zones 3, 4,
5 and 31. No luck getting through the early pileups to the Caribbean
or South America DX. I guess being QRP and 2,000 miles from
anybody makes pileup busting difficult.

At 03Z conditions were fairly normal, and I put 12 more countries in the
log. Then I shutdown so my wife could get some sleep without me
"yelling" into the radio...

I checked at 13Z still night in Hawaii) and heard only weak South
Americans, two middling VK's, and extremely weak Europeans.
Oops, there had been another X Class Flare at 17Z.   At 18Z only a
few weak stations.  Still no loud, new stations at 22Z.

Better signals at 02z like the FR/DJ7RJ station, but I couldn't break
the pileup QRP.

My operator time ran out.  I had worked my 14 Countries, 8 Zones for
the possible first entry and record for Oceania, SO QRP (A) 20m.
Clearly, the high solar flux conditions favored 10m (or higher) for
activity, but at least I filled in the entry book.