[3830] CQWW SSB K5EWJ SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 26 23:48:52 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5EWJ
Operator(s): K5EWJ
Station: K5EWJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SANTA FE, TX

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   10     5        7
   40:   27    11       20
   20:  103    22       53
   15:  111    20       50
   10:  145    19       50

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

My SteppIR is on the ground for repairs after a lightning strike last summer. I
operated the contest with wire antennas, my Elecraft K3 and my SPE Expert 1k-FA
Amp which gave me about 1 KW out per the watt indicator on the Amp.  My wire
antennas were Inverted Vees on a 44 ft. pole which were an Alpha Delta 80-40
with a 75 meter element added.  I used the tuner built in to the Expert 1k to
operate all bands.  I also have an inverted L which I used for 160 meters and
some on 75 and 10 meters for long hauls.  I had my tower folded on the first
night and raised it to hold the L Saturday afternoon which allowed 160 and
helped some.

Not having a directional antenna made for more calling per contact and made
running not practical.  I took time off on Saturday to work on my SteppIR some
and to put up the L.

I made a few more contacts on 10 meters with its big band with and it seemed
that a lot of stations concentrated there on Sunday afternoon.  I probably
spent more time on 20 and 15 than on 10.  Conditions seemed good, but with more
noise and more difficulty with the stations in Africa and Asia because of my
lower wire antennas.  Also the noise was more bothersome without directional
antennas.