[3830] CQWW SSB N4LA SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 14:01:58 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4LA
Operator(s): N4LA
Station: N4LA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NC

  160:    5     4        4
   80:  102    13       45
   40:  152    21       67
   20:  339    33      107
   15:  453    36      115
   10:  590    33      119

I'll have to classify this years contest entry as a modest semi-serious effort.
My last serious CQWW SSB entry was in 2009 when I scored 3.2M pts with poor
conditions. So I found out real quick I was lacking discipline, and a little
rusty. I also found myself breaking the holy grail of contestings unwritten
rules, such as #1 .... KEEP YOUR BUTT IN THE CHAIR !! ... I missed prime
operating time on Sunday as I slept from 2AM until NOON !!! ...I only operated
29.5 hours total because I loved sleep more than contesting (Hi Hi) #2 .... RUN
RUN RUN !! .... I was 99.9% S&P while telling myself RUN FOREST RUN !! I had
only one real run the entire contest with 130 Q's. #3 .... DON'T CHASE MULTS IF
YOU CAN RUN ....Find a spot and run and the mults will find you ... I HAD TOO
MUCH FUN CHASING MULTS INSTEAD OF FINDING A RUN FREQUENCY AND HUNKERING DOWN TO
RUN ... SHAME ON ME !!
So the bottom line is this ..... My intentions were good, but my motivation and
discipline was lacking. But it was still FUN !! I ended up working a total of
144 countries and 39 zones on all bands together . I missed zone 34.
Conditions were spectacular and exciting into Asia and Oceania, and I put some
rare ones in the log such as ...
BY,HS,VR,VU,XW,5W,9M6,DU,FW,YB,ZK3,KH0,KH2,FO/M,E51,T8. I have never heard so
many loud stations from China and Japan on 10/15/20 meters in one weekend. I
also heard a VK6 longpath on 20 meters that was S9+20db on Sunday afternoon. I
worked South America easily all weekend on my dipoles and never had to turn the
yagi.  10 meters was the money band, with plenty of real estate to operate and
run.15 and 20 were wall to wall chaos as usual. 40 meters was good, but had too
many US ops battling for a run frequency below 7.200 which caused us little
pistols to suffer with tremendous qrm. As for 80 I managed to squeak out 45
countries and 13 zones but it wasn't easy. With poor conditions on 80, I made
only one attempt at 160 and put a whopping 4 qso's in the log on Saturday
night. Overall it was a great contest. I had fun chasing mults and battling
with the BIG GUNS !! My score suffered from lack of discipline and rookie
mistakes, but I still had fun and that's all that really matters. Thanks for
all the Q's

Rig: Elecraft K3
Amp: Alpha 78
Log: N1MM+