[3830] CQWW SSB K9CT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 18:40:12 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): KB9OWD KU5B K9MU KB9UWU K9QQ K3WA K9CT NQ6N
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL

  160:   59     8       15
   80:  198    21       66
   40:  688    29       94
   20:  778    38      134
   15: 2215    38      143
   10: 2270    36      149

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Our goal this year was to have fun and max out what can be done. We had a great
team assembled...KB9OWD, KU5B, K9MU, KB9UWU, K9QQ, K3WA, NQ6N and myself.
Everyone had been here before except newcomers KU5B, K9MU and NQ6N. Everyone
was a great team player and passed mults and synch'd qsos between run and mult
station without a rub.

A couple of things that they commented to me that they really enjoyed was the
audio boxes made to hear both run and mult station radios at each station and
the new Radiosport headsets. All you needed to do was signal a mult and you
could easily hear when it was the right time to call. The radios were
interlocked using the inhibit function of the K3s so timing was everything. I
had used the Radiosport headsets on the FT5ZM dxpedition and just had to have
them. You can sit long hours with them on and their sound isolation is good
enough in SSB that you can converse almost next to the operators without
bothering them.

Almost everyone has commented on the sun's flares over the contest weekend.
There were so many observed effects that we just kept on plugging away. We
thought 10m was actually enhanced...in fact we heard and worked FK8CP on 6m
during the contest! 15m was not as good as 10m but still sparkled. We couldn't
make up our mind about 20m. Either it had absorption or everyone had gone to 15
and 10. With only two transmitters, we had to pick bands. So 20 got the short
end of the stick. We had low 20m totals until the last 6 hours of the contest.
We got some pretty good rates and the signals were quite strong from EU.

40m is just a mess. Too many ragchewers to work around while observing where
the DX was or wasn't. Lots of DX just don't listen above 7125. We hear them
calling cq but not listening to NA. We did the best that we could on 40m SSB
but it certainly could be better and will be on cw weekend. We did just ok on
80m but not as many stations on the band. 160m was almost ignored....as we
tried to move stations to the band with some success. Lots of the big stations
on the higher bands just didn't call CQ at all on TB.

Food is always fun for these weekends...homemade Lasagna courtesy of K3WA and
the local firemen's chili supper Saturday night. We always host a onion
rings/pizza and beer festivities post contest to rehash the weekend.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and courtesies shown on the air. Lots of stations
were kind enough to find us on other bands and it is appreciated.

73, Craig K9CT....all qsos already uploaded to LOTW.