[3830] CQWW SSB NA5NN(N5BO) SOSB/10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 21:01:51 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NA5NN
Operator(s): N5BO
Station: N5FG

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: MS

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:    0     0        0
   20:    0     0        0
   15:    0     0        0
   10: 2227    35      144

Club: 599 DX Association

Comments:

Was originally planning to operate my normal SOAB LP, but decided on single band
10M since this might be one of the last chances with this propagation for awhile
and 10M has always been my best band in the all band category.

Friday night started out really slow, it was mostly S&P with a few small
efforts to CQ that resulted in very few callers.  I never heard anything out of
Asia besides JA on the first night, so I called it a night and hoped for better
on Saturday.

Saturday morning I started out S&P working my way up the band until I found
a clear spot way up the band, it probably took me an hour to do this since every
station was needed.  Thankfully with band conditions like this you can still
work 2 sometimes 3 Q's a minute while S&P.  Obviously there is a big
difference between using low power like I normally do when compared to high
power, but I still made it a point to not get involved in pileups when I came
across them, if a couple of calls go unanswered I just make notes and try again
later.  I mostly ran stations from 1300z until 1700z when I started looking to
SA/Carib with almost all S&P until 2100z when JA's started, looking back I
probably should of stayed with EU a little longer, but there was Sunday morning
to work more of them.  Asia was so much better with fair results while CQing and
some really good finds when S&P.  Band went flat again at 0130z

Sunday, again first hour spent S&P finding new stations until I found a
spot that actually wasn't very high up the band.  I mostly ran stations for 4
hours straight, but made good use of 2nd RX to find new ones between CQ's since
it was hit, or miss at times with callers.  I mostly S&P again around 1700z
because callers had slowed for the most part and there were still a ton of EU
runners that I needed to work before it was too late.  Found a huge pileup that
ended up being XP3A, I called longer than I had for any other station in the
contest before moving on and returned later when the pileup was
"better". I stayed with EU until around 1945z when I started looking
SA until 2130z when the JA's started again. At one point ZK3E showed up on my
freq so I ended up giving it up to him since it was slim pickings for me.

Looking at the rate graph it shows I peaked out around 260 Q's an hour for a
bit dropping to 230, but after that I would say a good average was around 160
to 180 during my best times.  I believe my time was split good between running
and S&P, along with the use of the 2nd RX during the slow periods during
CQing I was still able to stay busy during both days before looking to
SA....although I did lose my freq a few times when switching VFO's!

Thanks to 3B8, TF, BX, FG, TG, GZ5, 3D2, 4W, and ZS who called me for the mults
because I never heard any of these CQing.  I heard FO calling somebody late
Sunday, but my effort to gain his attention lower in freq did not work, never
heard him again.  I ran across a few small pileups that I couldn't hear the
other end so I'm guessing it was something closer in to CA, or Carib.