[3830] CQWW SSB NR3X(@N1LN) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 28 21:02:15 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NR3X
Operator(s): N4YDU W4KAZ N4GU K4OV KK4UNZ KG4NEL N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC

  160:   51    10       24
   80:  220    19       63
   40:  365    26       79
   20:  796    37      128
   15: 1408    38      145
   10: 2265    34      139

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We would like to report another successful M2 outing from the NR3X team. We did
not have any injuries. We did not have any equipment failures. We did not have
anyone suffer from lack of food. We did not have anyone suffer from too much
sleep! Best of all, everyone did suffer from having too much fun while playing
radio with the regular N1LN crew and a couple of new ‘first time’ team
members. The regulars were Nate-N4YDU, Kaz-W4KAZ, Mike-N4GU, Rob-K4OV and
Bruce-N1LN.  Our new team members were Tucker-KK4UNZ, and Jim-KG4NEL. Tucker
had a recent successful CW and SSB outing as W1AW/4 and also got used to the
N1LN station in a M2 TQP multi-op event. Jim got used to the station earlier
this year during multi-op NCQP. It did not take long for them to be comfortable
with the CQWW format. During Tuckers second time in the chair, he hit a burst
rate of 438 Qs per hour with a sustained rate of 205 that kept him in first
place for the rest of the weekend. As only one person can hold the record, Jim
got in the groove by having several successful EU runs as well as a couple nice
JA runs on both 10 and 15 meters. They will be back!

Everyone has been talking about the solar event that happened on Saturday and
the more than outstanding 10 meter conditions. Our experiences were no
different. 10 meters opened Saturday morning around 1100 UTC and then promptly
closed, taking both 15 and 20 with it, from 1500 UTC to 1900 UTC on Saturday.
Fortunately Sunday was much different with both 10 and 15 opening at 1100 UTC
and staying open the rest of the contest. As you can see from our Q and Mult
totals, 160, 75 and 40 were nothing to brag about. Even 20 suffered, but that
is because 10 and 15 were so good. All in all, we had a blast.

Kaz ran our log through SH5 to see what interesting statistics might show up.
Well, we have a few.
- 164 total countries worked
- 60 percent of our Qs were worked between the beam headings of 35 and 64
degrees
- Our highest rates were between 1100 UTC and 1500 UTC both days.
- 39 zones were worked, missing only zone 34.  Like everyone else
- Germany and Japan provided the most Qs at 10 percent and 7 percent,
respectively

All of this is with only 2 K3s, 2 ACOM 2000As and a couple of towers! What
could we have done with a big station? Same thing I hope. Had a very casual fun
filled weekend with a bunch of friends while working hard to squeeze all we
could out of 48 hours.

Thanks to everyone we worked. Thanks to CQ for sponsoring an outstanding
contest. Congratulations to the other stations that entered the  Multi-2 class.

Hope to work you again in the next one,

73, Bruce N1LN