[3830] CQWW SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Oct 30 22:23:39 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: NC

   40: 1914    34      112
Total: 1914    34      112  Total Score = 617,434

With a solar flux index over 200 I did not plan on operating 40m again this year
but unfortunately I discovered a new power line noise problem. The bad insulator
is on a pole about 400 feet (120 meters) east of my house and it creates S9
noise on 10m and 15m. The noise is less on 20m and barely noticeable on 40m,
especially with all of the contest splatter. I had a similar problem on a
different pole last year and it took months to get repaired so it was just not
possible to get this issue fixed in time for CQWW. With these solar conditions
it would have been more fun to be on the higher bands but 40m was the only band
that I felt competitive on. It was still fun however with 20m open well into the
night many spent less time on the low bands and my openings to Asia were short.
I would like to thank everyone that battled the QRM and QRN to work me,
especially those in rare countries! Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A