[3830] KsQP N0U(NU0Q) Mobile SO CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 16 22:43:39 EDT 2014

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0U
Operator(s): NU0Q
Station: N0U

Class: Mobile SO CW LP
QTH:

----------------------------
Total:  1024    0       0  Mults = 51  Total Score = 156,672

Club: Iowa DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Another fun time in Kansas.  This year, my goal was to transmit from the
counties that I hadn't been to yet, and we managed to get to them all.  They
must have been rare ones, because it sounded like they were in demand, and I
gave out a lot of 'last counties'.  Those western counties are in a drought at
the moment, and they were flat, dry, and dusty.  We saw a lot of milo up close
on some bumpy dirt roads trying to find short cuts, which made typing and
sending CW quite a challenge at times.

My mobile antenna didn't always want to tune on 15 meters, but when it worked,
there were usually plenty of folks there to work.  I tried to check 40 meters
in each county to work the close-in stations who usually seemed to be waiting
for me.  But most of the QSOs were on 20m.  Propagation was good except for
early Sunday afternoon.

The suggested frequencies worked well, although I had to find an alternative
frequency a few times.  At one point, I found KH6LC on my usual frequency, and
I knew I wasn't going to have that frequency back for a while.  Loud
out-of-state CQing stations in the mobile window can cause problems, especially
for mobiles that have noise blankers and DSP running.  Fortunately, that was a
rare occurrence.

We had extra time on Saturday, so we headed east on the interstate to find some
bonus counties.  We had pulled off of a side road in Trego County to sit and run
for a while when a friendly highway patrolman stopped to see if we were OK.  We
explained what we were doing, and he said "you'd probably have even more
fun if you weren't interrupted".  What could I say?  Sorry if you missed
Trego when I disappeared for a few minutes.

Thanks to my wife, Karen, who did all the driving.  She doesn't like to drive
after dark, so it was good that we stopped overnight in the northwest corner of
the state, where the sun sets 30 minutes later than in the southeast corner.  As
part of the deal, she gets to stop and take pictures of anything remotely
interesting, like courthouses, post office murals, and flowers.  We also
visited the geographical center of the continental US in Smith County on Sunday
afternoon.  But we didn't bother to stop at Mount Sunflower (the highest 'point'
in Kansas), and we skipped the biggest ball of twine in Cawker City.  Maybe next
year.

73,
Bill
NU0Q/N0U