[3830] WAE SSB SK3W(ON3DI) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 17 07:21:14 EDT 2014

                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: SK3W
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: SK3W

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

   80:   12    10    11
   40:  151    62    42
   20:  665   269    84
   15:  780   327    86
   10:   87   150    43
-------------------------
Total: 1695   818   596  Total Score = 1,497,748

Hi,

It was my second operation at SK3W, the first one was during the WPX SSB with a
lot of other youngster. It was an event to promote the hobby among young
people.
So that was a M/M operation, this one was a single operation.

The owner of the place Gunnar, SM2SGP and me arrived on Fridayevening at the
station, it was around 21u. We connected the antennas and did the
configuration.
Gunnar liked that I would do SO2R, never did that before, but when you are a
contester you have to improve your skills.
Now we knewn that there had been a sunstorm and that the propagation was bad, I
was really afraid of that. There was a chance that I couldn't make a single
QSO.
I 'slept' an hour before the contest and at 2u local time I could start the
contest and indeed the propagation was really really bad!! After two hours I
had only 23 QSO's, so I decided to go to bed.
After some sleep I hoped that the propagation was better but it was again a
struggle. I had only 100 QSO's Saturdaynoon. There was a little bit panic. The
goal was to break a 32 years old!! Swedish record (1000 qso's, 430 Multi and
420 qtc or something like that). I told Gunnar that I would never achieve 1000
QSO's so I had to go for a lot of QTC's, that was the plan!
But finally the gods were with me, I had a fantastic run on 15m to America and
later the same on 20m so I ended that day with 1090 QSO's, what a blast!
The SO2R worked also fine, I could rune on 15m and did S&P on 10m, but 10m
wasn't not that open. Anyway everyone was telling me that my signal was really
big on 15m. I was really happy at that moment, I knew that I could break the
record! Then I wan't to have QSO's on 80m and 40m, after one day I had only 20
QSO's on 40m, to less.
So after I went to bed again for some hours I tried to run on 40m and indeed I
was able to have a run to the USA! Unfortunally I wasn't able to do the same on
80m, really really bad band during this contest, pitty!!!!

Then I was time for Japan on 20m, I had a nice run even on 15m to Japan. After
that I went again to bed and then it was hoping that I could have a run again
to the USA on 10m and 15m. I had a small run to the USA on 10m, but I felt the
effect of a radar. 15m was again my band with a nice pile-up. Japan and USA
were calling at the same moment, I loved it!!!
The same on 20m, USA kept coming. I wasn't able to eat something. Then I had to
go in the final hours for some more multipliers on 40m and indeed I was able to
work Japan, Thailand, .... on this band, my last QSO was also on 40 with ZL.

So goal achieved, I broke the Swedish record!!! I think the number of QSO's is
good but I had to have more QTC's. The problem with that was that a lot of
stations gave me 001, I couldn't ask for QTC's then and at Sundayevening I
prefered to run instead of the QTC's, maybe due to the adrenaline ;-)! SO that
is something that can improve.

Anyway I learned a lot during this contest, operating SO2R was new for me and I
must say a nice experience. It was also the first time that I worked with beams.
At home I have only a vertical and a dipoles, it's another way of contesting. I
was glad I had Gunnar who gave me a lot of tips during the contest! My skills
as a contester has become better.

Now I have to thank Gunnar SM3SGP for this opportunity. He gave me a lot of
advice and supported me during the contest. He brought me food and drinks at my
TX, otherwise I wouldn't have eat a lot ;-)!
My respect for him and the crew at SK3W is really big. It is a really nice
station and the try to have more then one antenna for each band, so you can
play, nice!

I can only be happy about this contest, never thought that I would have 1700
QSO's at Saturdaynoon. At the end I was really tired and my ears really hurt
because of the headset, a little contest injury :D!

Thanks to work me all! Thanks for all the spots!!
Thanks to the contestorganisation, they do a lot to improve everything!
Thanks to Gunnar SM3SGP for everything!

Next goal for me is the CQ WW RTTY at home with my own call ON3DI.
So please work me all and this is a small station so spots are always welcome!

All the best!

Pieter ON3DI
I am on facebook also as Pieter onthreedi.