[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W0UC Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 17 10:13:01 EDT 2014

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: W0UC
Operator(s): W0UC
Station: W0UC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EN44
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   30    14
  2.3:    1     1
  3.4:    1     1
  5.7:    1     1
  10G:    1     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  327   134  Total Score = 73,700

Club: Northern Lights Radio Society

Comments:

This was almost a contest to remember - but it started 24 hours late.  K's of 6
to 7 would have been pretty fun.  As it was, it was fairly decent, largely
thanks to good rover activity.

Conditions were mediocre at best Saturday afternoon.  Failed with K0AWU on 902
& 1.2 for the first time in many contests, but after dark signals were
about 15db better.  Conditions on those bands were also poor mid-morning
Sunday;  W9GA and K2DRH were an unusual struggle.  Never saw any significant
enhancement on 432 & above.

There was a little tropo late Saturday night after most everyone was gone.
About 1:20AM I heard W4NH in EM85 weak but solid CW on 144; got them in the log
on 222 also, for the best DX on those bands at 775 miles.  Also squeaked out
WD0T (DN94) Sunday morning on 144.

6m SSB scatter activity was slim, yielding just a few contacts.  I thought the
flares might produce some other propagation on Sunday, but not much came of it.
 We did get a sporadic-E pipeline to EM93 for over an hour Sunday evening, for a
few contacts.

My log shows 160 rover Q's, almost 50% of my total.  Swept with KA9VVQ, KC0P
and N0HZO in all of their grids.  A bunch more Q's with N0LNO and KC0SKM.  I
continue to have trouble hooking up with the Chicago-area rovers;  just 2 Q's
with W9SNR, and one grid with K9GY.  If illness had not sidelined AC0RA, rover
action would have been fantastic.  I find the rover spreadsheet to be
invaluable, and have the best luck with those rovers who set a calling
frequency and a schedule and stick with both.  Those also seem to be the rovers
who end up with the most contacts.

Never heard anything out of Michigan on any band.  Hello, anyone there?

Thanks to the fixed stations who bothered to get on!  Those who didn't missed
some fun tracking the rovers.  Thanks to all the rovers for getting out there,
and thanks to W0AIH for his support. I'm inspired, hopefully I can get some
constructive work done before the January SS.

73
Paul W0UC
EN44HamRadio