[3830] 144FallSprnt K1TEO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 24 10:53:07 EDT 2014

                    144 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT

Total:  QSOs = 88  Mults = 31  Tot Dist(km) = 0  Total Score = 2,728

I was on for about 3 hours too and had 88 X 31. It was a very tough evening as
from 245 - 330 degrees I have s9 noise. It's been bad since May and getting
worse - this was the worst I've seen. I have one spot at 285 degrees where the
noise dropped to s7 and I used that to work most of the QSO's to the west and
northwest - the best I could do even though that doesn't work well with a very
sharp array, hi!

Best DX to the NE was FN44, to the North FN35 and 25, to the NW EN93 and to the
west EN90 and EM89. Down to the south worked FM16, 17, 27 and 07. I only worked
one FN21 (tnx Herb!), one FM19  and a couple of FN41's. No FN11, 02, 33 etc.

My last QSO of the night was the oddest and most interesting. I didn't hear any
DX the whole night, and in fact condx appeared to be poor (I'm sure the noise
issue didn't help). N4QWZ, who was the only DX heard the prior week during the
VHF contest was on the chat page and wanted to give it a try. I had just tried
with W8BYA and heard only pings. Earlier K8TQK was weaker than normal so
nothing indicated any DX could be worked. I was about to pull the plug anyway
so figured why not give a try with Todd though I skeptical that anything would
happen. Amazingly I heard him right away - weak but a steady Q5. I did hear a
few meteor pings but the qso was made completely on tropo scatter. In fact he
built up so I could still hear him even better after our QSO  working others.
That's 800+ miles on a seemingly dead band. Just goes to show you I should have
had a little more faith....hi! And find out what Todd is putting on his antennas
down there in TN....

Tnx to the sponsors and hope to be on for 222.

73, Jeff K1TEO