[3830] CQ WW RTTY JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SOSB(A)/10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 29 02:16:37 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JG1ZUY

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: Chiba, JAPAN

   10:  442      25      77    33
-----------------------------------
Total:  448      25      77    33  Total Score = 156,465

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

Patience and perseverance, which was what this contest was all about.

With SSN topping 200, I decided to try one last time for this solar
cycle on 10mb single (A).  Besides, I knew that I would have to
finish early due to work commitments.  Monday morning (local) is
money-period toward the U.S. on 15mb from JA, so I hoped to minimize
the loss from missing the final hours by choosing the band which
would probably have less favorable propagation.  I had to pay the
price for the strategy: slow QSO rate.

Saturday beginning was poor with K9CT only workable station from
the northern states and no Zone 5, but it got even worse in the
afternoon (EU opening) as I only heard southern Europe.  Even the
usually strong EU Russians were whispering while Greeks were
booming.  There was almost no long path opening.

Sunday was better, and I managed to work Zones 5, 6, 7 and 9,
but still, there were no W1~3s.  Northern and southern Europe
opened very well, but somehow, the propagation was lost
in-between, I worked many Scandinavians and Italians, but
could not even print anyone from Poland although I listened
on the spotted frequencies.  After the local sunset, I could
manage to work LX7I via a skewed path from the Indian Ocean.
I also heard Gs and EI7M via the same path, but they did not
hear me.

In summary, the propagation was much worse than in 2012, when
I worked more than 700Qs on 10mb single.  Thank you for all
stations who picked me up.

The next big effort from JG1ZUY will be in CQ WW SSB as Multi-
Single.  We will be likely to sign JM1LPN.

Best 73,

Icko, JA1BPA