[3830] CQ WW RTTY N1IXF SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 30 22:16:11 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N1IXF
Operator(s): N1IXF
Station: N1IXF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 38:43

   80:   58       33       9     6
   40:  107       34      28    11
   20:  354       45      55    16
   15:  572       37      79    25
   10:  347       22      59    19
------------------------------------
Total: 1438      171     230    77  Total Score = 1,609,426

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast!  New to this game and found that there's lots to learn but that's
also what makes this hobby so great.

This was my first significant RTTY effort after only casually playing in the
BARTG HF and NAQP RTTY contests.  Station, interfaces and N1MM Logger worked
without a hitch.  I was SO1R but after this weekend, I am newly motivated to
get SO2R ready for RTTY.  Special thanks to Dennis, W1UE, for his recent YCCC
RTTY seminar and the presentation he gave at ARRL Convention... both of these
provided great info on setting things up for RTTY contesting and improved my
use of function keys.

Station Notes... The bi-directional mode on my SteppIR was very helpful when EU
slowed down 15/10M and gave me the ability to work stateside and EU at the same
time.  My 40m inverted vee is just not good enough for any serious contesting
so I must work to improve that situation.   Learned that there is no way I am
cut out to work a whole contest or anything more than 26 hours straight... new
respect for ops who can put in anything close to 48 hrs.  The week before the
contest I was able to operate RTTY as W1AW/1 CT and experienced unbelievable JA
pile ups on 15M in the late afternoon local time.  Coming off that I was very
disappointed that I couldn't get a run going to JA on either Saturday or Sunday
and had to settle for only a few S&P contacts.  Using both MMTTY and 2Tone,
I found that there were times when one decoded better than the other.  I
definitely need to spend some time working out the multiple RX windows to be
sure that I'm getting the most from them.  I'm also thinking that my mother
board "soundcard" may not be a good choice for RRTY decoding as I had
lots of spurious characters displaying in the 2Tone window when noise was low
and the frequency was clear of any signals.

Thanks to all who worked me and apologies for the many times I screwed up the
exchange or call sign and had to be corrected... like I said, lots to learn.