[3830] WPX SSB KU2M SOSB15 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Apr 1 12:08:27 EDT 2015

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ

   15: 2191

Fantastic condx to east Asia Friday night, and good conditions on 15M persisted
through Saturday, when the band was wall to wall pandemonium with very loud
sigs. On Dupeday morning (some people call it Sunday), the band was a flatline
and I thought something in my station had broken (again - see my ARRL DX phone
comments). Yes, something did break - and it was 15 meters. At a time when sigs
from Europe are usually blasting in, the only way I could hear Europeans was to
point the antennas at South America, and although they were extremely weak with
the antennas pointing that way, signals from Europe were still louder than if I
switched to the European stack - when I did that, European signals almost
completely disappeared! Not a good sign. Well, you can fix your station, but
you can't fix the band. After an exhilarating first day, I found myself
struggling with 20-30 QSO/hr rates until after EU sunset, when propagation
suddenly and inexplicably exploded and I was at last able to get some decent
runs - at least for a little while. By that time, unfortunately, it was much
too late for prop to northern areas of Russia, etc, save for a few signals that
were weak and watery, indicative of severe aurora/absorption. Still, I'm happy
about the fabulous conditions up through Saturday night, which made for a great
first day, and a second day which will always be, if nothing else, at least
memorable.