[3830] MoQP K5YAA/M Rover Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 6 02:06:24 EDT 2015

                    Missouri QSO Party

Call: K5YAA/M
Operator(s): N5WR K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Rover Multi-Op HP
QTH: 46 Counties

  160:     0     0      0
   80:    88     0      0
   40:   425    11      0
   20:  1453   117      0
   15:   684     0      0
   10:     4     0      0
----------------------------
Total:  2655   128      0  Mults = 71  Total Score = 385,914

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

What a terrific run in this year's Missouri QSO Party. The bands were in great
shape both Saturday and Sunday as DX callers were as loud as the US on both 15

and 20 meters. The record for Qs in the Oklahoma Land Rush Mobile was shattered

as we managed to beat both 2014 Florida and Texas QSO Party totals.

Two minor mechanical problems, more a nuisance than trouble, that spares or a
screwdriver fixed quickly. The stinger on the Tarheel came loose from it's two
hex screws and landed in the trailer where I found it when gassing up the
generator. Oh no, I didn't pack my hex wrenches. But, I have two spare
stingers. Was gonna say, Off with the old and on with the new but the old was
already off!. The Alpha Delta 4 banger coax switch knob got loose on us two or
three times but a screwdriver tightened it back up for more twisting to move
around the bands quickly.

The old Dell, XP running laptop, may need to be replaced before long but it
made it through "one more" party doing it's reliable thing. It was
pressed into service because the spare SamSung laptop's screen washed out badly
in light, not bright sunlight, just light! The Dell has a slower processor so at
times I'm sure folks heard some hiccups in the CW as N1MM+ wants some speed it
seems to send perfect CW. N1MM+ is a nice piece of work so I will get a laptop
that can be seen when the sun is up. The SamSung would have performed well but
like I said, it couldn't be read in sunlight. Had to cobble up
"ropes" to hold the old tired Dell's screen in a position for reading
as the hinges are worn out and a repair effort on them was not successful, so
some string and that handy stuff called duct tape made the screen stay in
position "most of the time". Erik did a much better job at using the
kludge than I did as the right "rope" came loose on me and things
started getting messy what with the left hand typing and the right hand holding
the screen in place. The Gator and I are hunt and peckers on a keyboard so one
handed just don't quite cut it. Erik took a little time Sunday morning before
the start to do some of his surgery on the right hand rope and tape job. It
lasted the whole 6 hours on Sunday even with me operating! Paul, N4PN would be
proud of the job Erik did with my cheap roll of duct tape, the thin stuff, no
toughness to it, tears easily, that kind of tape. Holds keyers on top of empty
Dunkin Donuts coffee cups sitting on a $3.00 bottle holder
however. Just ask N4PN.

Erik and I want to thank all the callers for their QSOs. Very well mannered
group as when we sent a letter or two to cull out the pile only that guy called
- most of the time. There were several stations who followed us the entire
weekend and a handful who only had one day or even Sunday afternoon to get in
the fray after Easter Services. We want to recognize those ops by putting them
in, what N6MU calls, the Land Rush Mobile Honor Roll.

These DX stations worked us more than 25 times, many of the QSOs on both 15 and
20. 10 meters never really opened up to anywhere except California.

DK2OY  - 48
DK3BN  - 43
DL3GA  - 44
HA8IB  - 31
LY5A   - 31
VE7JH  - 29
ON4AAC - 27
OH6NIO - 28
and surprise OM2VL 73 times. Busier than a one armed paper hanger that guy but
what a world class operator.

These US stations made the log more than 30 times.

AA4FU  - 33
AF6GQ  - 56
N4CD   - 35
N4PN   - 41
N4RS   - 31
K2DSW  - 32
K5CM   - 48
K5KDG  - 51
K5TIA  - 31
K7TM   - 35
KC3X   - 35
KN4Y   - 38
KO7X   - 31
KQ3F   - 55
WA2VYA - 35
W7GF   - 53
W1END  - 39
W1DWA  - 69

Thanks gentlemen for your dogged efforts to hammer away at us. Impressive Q
totals. Many others made Q counts in the high twenties. Thanks to each of you
also. Indeed, thanks to everyone who made the weekend a lot of fun for us as
that is what this great hobby is all about. Hopefully you got a kick out of
beating others in the pile now and then. I hope to work each of you again in
the 7QP this May from Eastern Montana where myself and Matt K7BG will be
motoring.

A final statistic. DX countries worked were:
DL, EA, ES, F, HA, I, JA, LA, LY, OH, OK, OM (Really an OM?), ON, UA, UR and
YV.
Numerous call signs from DL and OK. Several different calls from most of the
named countries. All points on the European compass were strong and a couple of
JAs called in on 20 in mid afternoon Saturday.

Finally a couple of funnies as I have been known to write about in the past.
Seems Missouri's service stations and sandwich shops have some later technology

deployed than the ones down in Texas Hill Country. We only managed to hamper
one
gas pump by keeping it from reading the credit card the first try. The lady
inside noticed but didn't call the Sheriff. At a Subway sandwich shop, Erik
pulled "Around Back" leaving me hammering away. He said, as he pulled
out his twenty to pay, he heard some beautiful CW on the cash register. As Erik
did down in Texas, he scurried back out and said, we might ought to leave here.
He did however say, maybe no problem as the people behind the sandwich making
counter didn't really seem to notice that their machine was playing CW music.
On down the road we went, sandwiches in hand and no worries.

The second funny is when I ventured up to SSB on twenty. Here was N4PN (Papa
Novembah) asking for any station, just any station in Missouri to call. The guy
is a beggar. I hollered at him, official mobile and all, with a new county. We
exchanged our regular insults then WA2VYA called me on Paul's frequency. I
said, up 2 VYA after calculating how far I needed to move to get out of Paul's
way because I know he would have harassed me if I caused him any QRM. Up two I
went and worked VYA. So, being on a different frequency I started out with a CQ
the
Party. Some ol boy asked is the frequency busy? I said, why were you going to
use it? He said, "Well I was thinking about it." I asked, "Where
are you?" He said, rather proudly, "Corpus Christi Texas". I then
said, "Well, seems I was here first and I didn't think about using it I'm
actually using it so "CQ the Missouri QSO Party". He grumbled
something and went about his way. Some true characters up there on SSB for
sure. Fortunately he didn't hang around to give me any grief and anyway I
wasn't going to be there long because a new county was on the horizon and back
to CW I would scamper.

A very special thank you to the Missouri QSO Party organizers. Y'all put on a
good one this year and even made sure the WX was Missouri Spring Style to boot.
Couldn't ask for a better Party for sure.

73 - Jerry K5YAA and Erik N5WR

Rig: K3 and a solid state amp into 3 HP Hustlers and a Tarheel for 40/80.
An old tired Dell laptop whose days may soon be numbered and a Honda generator
that keeps on ticking since I learned to keep water out of it's gas supply.