[3830] 144SprngSprnt K1TEO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Apr 14 13:15:05 EDT 2015

                    144 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT

Total:  QSOs = 114  Mults = 35  Tot Dist(km) = 1  Total Score = 3,990

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

The spring sprint was marked in FN31 by so-so conditions, decent activity, and
my usual s9+ noise issue from about 270 degrees to 330 degrees. That last part
is frustrating but I did use a null where the noise drops to s8 at about 285
degrees to fill in most of the grids in that direction.

Stations generally seemed weaker than usual, but some decent paths were worked
even with the condx. Best DX south was to FM16, 26 and 06. In fact K1ISR in
FM06, NG4C in FM16 and K3TSR in FM26 all sounded fairly good. Closer in like
the FM19/18 area seemed weaker than normal. I know a front was coming through
so maybe the guys on the coast were on the same side as I was? To the west I
worked a couple of stations in EN90, and also EN92 and 93. I heard K8TQK Q5 but
only s1 - s2 (below normal) but he didn't copy me through some QRN. I know there
was some rough wx between us (over Bob?) so that no doubt had an impact on the
path. To the north I worked FN25 and a couple of stations in FN35 and to the
Northeast I worked K1DY/r in both FN55 and 54 (Tnx Bill!). I did hear K8ZES in
FN02 but never connected with Sid so missed the grid.

I did like using the ON4KST chat page during the contest. I count 7 extra QSO's
likely only made through the connection in 3 additional grids. I also tried with
some others after connecting on the chat page, and even though we didn't make
it, I enjoyed the attempts. After the first hour or so the sprint is slow
enough that having the ability to try some long haul stuff is fun and enough to
keep me in the chair. There seemed to be a reasonable amount of stations using
the chat page which was nice to see. It will be interesting to see how that
works out this June  when we ( I believe) can use it during an ARRL event for
the first time.

Tnx for the QSO's and to the CSVHFS for sponsoring the event. I hope to be on
next week on 222.

73,
Jeff K1TEO