[3830] NAQP CW WI9WI Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 2 14:40:46 EDT 2015

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Winter, WI

  160:    7     7
   10:   26     6
-------------------
Total:  433   143  Total Score = 61,919

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC - Team Coulomb

Comments:

My K3 fell ill during NAQP RTTY a couple of weeks ago with the dreaded "ERR
12V" message and loss of the 100 watt amp. I found that by rebooting the
radio the amp would again put out power, but only for 3 or 4 minutes. Rather
than reboot the radio every other QSO or use my IC-7000 I opted to go QRP. The
radio has an appointment with the Elecraft surgery clinic to replace the power
pins to the amp which is likely the cause of the problem.

The bands were surprisingly good. After making zero QSOs on 10 in the RTTY
section there was a good Es opening to the south and southeast early. This
netted a lot of TX, LA, FL and GA QSOs but not many mults. Fifteen was also
better than during RTTY. Twenty and forty were the money bands, everyone was
there. Forty was surprisingly quiet for August. Eighty was a bit noisier, and
160 in the summer is almost impossible for QRP. I managed to work 7 mults with
a lot of repeats, but had half a dozen or more CQ in my face. I was able to run
for some time on 20 and 40, and for a few minutes on 80, but trying to run on 15
and 10 proved to be a waste of time.

About MN local I was running out of gas mentally, so I pulled the big switch
with about 30 mins of op time still on the table.

Thanks to all the great ops and all the QSOs.

73
Jim WI9WI