[3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Aug 5 10:55:54 EDT 2015

                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41vr
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   45    20
  2.3:    7     6
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  200    90  Total Score = 79,110

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

It was a little crazy having only 2 weeks between CQWW VHF and the UHF contest.
Especially since the Central States VHF Conference was the weekend in between
with travel to Colorado.  It literally required me to jump up immediately after
CQWW VHF ended and hop in the car to take the dog to the kennel, then start
packing for an early morning departure the next day. We arrived back the night
before the contest. I slept in and didn’t turn on the station until just
before the contest. When I QSY’d over to 222 with the first station I was
greeted with a dead receiver. Most of the first half hour was spent
troubleshooting and finding a work around. 3456 was not playing well either and
I missed out on several high point with multiplier QSOs.

Saturday was really slow and conditions seemed very depressed with stations out
200 miles at best half as strong as they usually are.  Rovers are very important
in this contest and I kept track of them with the use of the MW rover plans
spreadsheet that W0UC sets up for every contest.  The new rules help a lot
since if you don’t hear a rover on their self-assigned calling frequencies in
the time they allocate for each grid you can get in touch with them directly to
look your way and not miss any grids.  AC0RA/R from Iowa was particularly
active and at fairly easy distances both days so I was able to work him on all
4 bands in all 13 grids he visited. KC0P/ N0HZO family rover from
Minneapolis/St Paul and NLRS was right at 200 miles on Saturday and workable up
to 1296 in a few grids, but a lot further away on Sunday.  Few rovers went out
of Chicago this time. W9SNR/R is always a treat to work, usually on all the
bands I have but my 3456 was not up to the task this time. K9JK/R was out too,
but a lot more difficult to find. And while it looked like I would have a good
shot at KF8QL/R on Sunday, he changed plans and moved even further away.
Luckily I was still able to catch him on 2 bands in en74.

Conditions improved and later Saturday night around 0300 saw good local
enhancement out 200 or so miles, but few around to enjoy it. Sunday morning was
vastly improved to the east and longer distance Qs went into the log with K8TQK
up to 2304 at 400 miles being about the best distance. I used ON4KST to make
several hookups, but there were not a lot of stations in my range. By 1500Z the
enhancement was all gone again and the last three hours were really slow.
Finally found W9SZ portable in the last hour and worked him on all bands except
3456.  A few more Qs than last year but a lot less grids.

73 de Bob2 K2DRH