[3830] WAE CW VE9AA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 10 15:55:49 EDT 2015

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 28:58

   80:   48     0   104
   40:  204   230   120
   20:  260   334    92
   15:  214   226    88
   10:   12    10    16
-------------------------
Total:  738   800   420  Total Score = 645,540

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This contest was a lot like bringing a rubber knife to a gun fight during a
thunder and lightning storm.
Rubber knife (my puny vertical), gun fight (pileups/jumpballs against the
QRO/stacks guys) and thunder & lighting.  The storm was both literal and
figurative.  Literal as summer storms made the low bands a swirling mass of
noise and a new electric horse fence next door went Snap-Snap-Snap every 1.5
seconds all weekend long.  Oh joy.  So much for a quiet rural QTH.
I could hear the big boys working stuff on all bands I couldn't even begin to
hear.  It was depressing.  Loud signals from all over the Eastern part of NA,
but EU's were very weak here on my rubber knife. (err, vertical) I put on my
raincoat and put up the umbrella and went forth, dashing between puddles with
my big rubber boots.(CW filters & noise blanker).
   Didn't anyone invite 10m to play?  Fifteen pretty much skipped the first
part of the weekend, only to put in a half-arsed effort towards the end, but
even then on 15m I felt like I was in a life-raft, bobbing in the ocean like a
crazed buoy looking for other liferaft people amongst the swirling waves of the
45th parallel of the N. Atlantic.  Every once in a while I'd see a face inside a
yellow 'Souwester and try to hear what they were saying through the wind and
rain.  Back and forth we went yelling numbers and letters and paddling
frantically with my remaining good oar until such time we had it all, or we
drifted apart never to be heard from again. Swallowed up in the misty waters;
lost at sea. (QSB)
My apoligies to DL1IAO and many others out there who I exchanged 8 or 9 QTC's
with Friday or Saturday.  I was simply unable to send the remaining bits due to
a problem with my logging program.  I know I owe you fellas a QTC or two, but
it's beyond my control.  A hole in my liferaft as it were and I have no patch
kit or knowledge to fix.  I am but a lowly paddler, trying my boat in the
radiosport waters of the N.Atlantic.
I am just hoping to make it to shore with my leaky boat and broken paddle.

Mike VE9AA.....*note: QTC count shows high due to a glitch in my logging
program....probably should read 738, not 800, thus I am sure the score is
actually lower.