[3830] NAQP SSB K5YAA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 16 01:02:36 EDT 2015

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OK

  160:   10     8
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  500   122  Total Score = 61,000

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Team: DFWCG Edsel

Comments:

Against my better judgement I ventured into the SSB wilderness. 15 and 20 were
pitiful but 40/80 and even 160 had takers for my feeble 100 watt CQs. Best DX
was a VE1 on 40 and swiftest moves were with N5DX Kevin in AR. We kept making
connection all the way to ten meters after he discovered me on 160. My only ten
meter Q but AR with N5DX on all 6 bands. Actually it's kind of amazing what 100
watts can do.

I constructed wav files for N1MM+ but could not get the TX to key when I pumped
the audio to it therefore I got to wear out my vocal chords hollering CQ NA or
other fishing lures. I used the voice files in WPX SSB so I know I had it
working in the past. I will be troubleshooting as it ain't much fun acting like
an F1 key.

Eric, NM5M is tireless with his efforts to construct teams and put them in
harms way. For CW it was aircraft names and this time broken down automobiles.
I mean I was on a team named Edsel one of the all time lemons in the automobile
world. My old Grand Dad bought a brand new 1957 Edsel, a salmon colored one.
Even after many chuckles about the error of his ways he swore by that car. Said
it was the best one he had ever owned which really wasn't saying much as he
traded in a worn out 1948 dark green Chevy pickup on that Edsel. He got a real
stern look on his face if you said anything sideways about his Edsel.

On a very sad note. During the contest I received an email from N7WY and an on
the air notice from W7SE of the passing of Alan Brubaker KO7X. A good friend,
my 2014 7QP mobile guest operator when we motored all over Western Wyoming, a
dinner partner of mine in his home state of Wyoming in 2013 and a forever WY
multiplier in all the domestic contests. Alan will be missed by many and is
being remembered by several folks on Facebook. Alan liked to say, and he was
probably right, there are more antelope in Wyoming than people. He was proud to
be from Wyoming. Alan dearly loved his wife who passed away about two years ago.
He spoke of her often and I could tell he was lost without her by his side.
I like to think Alan is now with her again. Thanks N7WY and W7SE for thinking
of me and my relationship with Alan. Your kindness is appreciated.

Thanks to the sponsors of the NAQP SSB run. A great set of contests the NAQP
series.

73, Jerry K5YAA

Rig: K3 to 6el on 15 6el on 20 3el on 40. A 80 meter Vee and 160 Vee. Also 8el
on ten meters which will likely get stashed in the side yard building before
too long. It seems to be leaving us again. N1MM+ logging which I have said a
number of times - a real FB piece of work.