[3830] NAQP SSB AC0W Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 18 23:42:09 EDT 2015

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: AC0W
Operator(s): AC0W
Station: AC0W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:   2      2
   20:  21      9
Total:  23     11  Total Score = 253

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Team: MWA # 1

Comments:

This weekend took XYL and oldest grandson on trip doing some things they enjoy
and getting them to meet their favorite NASCAR driver, earning many kitchen
passes in the process. I was allowed to bring along the portable station to
attempt operating Saturday night. Got a later start than I wanted which
impacted score.

Set up station and got on 15 on the off chance it may be open. Nothing heard so
retune the antenna for 20. Things were starting good then suddenly noise level
jump significantly. When that happened could hardly copy anyone. With the rig
being one of those compact rigs with few buttons and everything in menus, took
be a while to get the DSP filtering set up to cancel out the noise so I could
hear people again.

Made a few more contacts and realized band was closing so retune the antenna
for 40.  I used a different configuration than I normally use on 40 as I didn't
have the right balun with me. As you see the antenna just didn't get out, but it
did receive nicely. After 2 contacts in 20 minutes on 40 I decided time for bed
so as to get a decent night sleep so I didn't get up too late to head to the
race track on Sunday.

It was interesting being set-up in the car as a portable station directly under
incoming flights to Detroit airport only about 1.5 miles from the end of the
runway.

I had roughly 5 hours total time into this with setting up the station, tuning
the antenna a few times, messing with getting the computer and radio to
communicate, making a few contacts, and then tearing down the station. Not a
very good Q count for all the effort, but was glad to make it into a few
peoples log.

Oh well good experience and learned a few things to do next time.

73
Bill
AC0W