[3830] OhQP DM5EE Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 23 12:48:14 EDT 2015

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: DM5EE
Operator(s): DM5EE
Station: DM5EE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    5
   40:   41     2
   20:   41     5
--------------------
Total:   87     7  CW Mults = 43  Ph Mults = 6  Total Score = 8,869

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was a tough one from central Europe! Despite having more time than last
year and far less problems with local noise this year, I ended up with half of
last year's score, not even reaching 100 QSOs in 12 hours of operation.

Propagation:
20 was marginal except for the last hour before the band closed. VOACAP
predicted 50% to 60% probablility for QSOs with 500W and a 3ele at 50ft as the
MUF was hovering right around 14MHz from the start of the contest until 23z
when it tanked. K8MR was only once loud enough to ask for a QSY to SSB wich
worked fine.
The fact that HS3NBR/p and 9V1VV camped out on on 14.040 and 14.043 (up 1) for
quite some time did not help. SE5L and DK2OY to the North worked stations that
I could not even hear or, if I could, the OH station would not hear me. Only
the 2200 hour produced better signals on 20 but most Ohio stations had left for
40m and the local noise appreared at about 2230z.

40m was ok, just the usual issues with digital European stations around 7040. A
Broadcast station wiped out 7047 to 7050 for most of the night and overall
signals were mediocre most of the time. I never managed to hear K8MR well
enough to make a single QSO on 40m while I could work W9MSE, K8O and AE8M
several times on that band.

80m provided five QSOs. Amazing, how K8BL and K8MAD pulled me right out of the
noise while other stations did not even notice my presence.

Mobile stations:
This year's top list is led by W9MSE - a big thank you to all the mobiles even
though this year was an all-time low in the mobile-to-overall-QSO ratio.
W9MSE: 8
K8O: 7
K8MR: 4
AE8M: 4
K8RYU: 2

Rule change:
The omission of a serial number certainly helped to complete many of my QSOs
much faster in these marginal conditions. Basically, all you have to do is to
identify the other station and I am sure that several QSOs would either not
have been completed or, taken a long time if a serial number had to be
exchanged and logged properly. A downside is that I never had any idea on where
the competition is in terms of QSO numbers.

Until next year, 73!
Uli, DM5EE

Station equipment:
FT-1000MP, FL-7000
X7 Tribander + 40m rotary dipole @55ft
G5RV for 80m
N1MM+ (installed right before the contest)