[3830] OhQP NZ8O(K8CC) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 25 18:27:47 EDT 2015

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: NZ8O
Operator(s): K8CC
Station: NZ8O

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SUMM

   80:   84     78
   40:  190    128
   20:   41     18
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  315    224  CW Mults = 76  Ph Mults = 75  Total Score = 128,954

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Station: FT-1000MP, G5RV dipole @ 20'

My mother grew up in Akron, and I still have relatives in that area who let me
set up a simple portable operation at their QTH in Summit county.  I operated
from a card table in their garage with my antenna hung from a flag pole in the
yard.  I had no Internet so was unaware of the solar event and its impact on
conditions until after the contest.  I just figured my lack of stations to work
was due to my modest antenna.

Despite testing my G5RV dipole extensively at home (where the auto-tuner in the
FT-1000MP would tune it OK), at the Ohio location it became a completely
different antenna.  Neither the MP nor the MN-2000 tuner I brought as backup
would tune the antenna properly, and it was necessary to use both the external
and internal tuners together to make the finals in the transceiver happy.  I
was pleased to be able to run people and act like a real contest station with
such a modest antenna, but I feel I should have worked more people.

Still, it was a fun way to spend a day on the radio and I might just do it
again next year.  Thanks to everyone for all the QSOs, and I hope that I helped
fill the need for the Summit county multiplier.

73, Dave/K8CC