[3830] KsQP N1CC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 30 16:49:51 EDT 2015

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Texas

   80:    9      0      0
   40:   90     28      0
   20:   51     20      3
----------------------------
Total:  150     48      3  Mults = 83  Total Score = 46,165

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 @100W to F-12 C3 @64' and 80/40 Fan Dipole @50'
broadside North/South.  WriteLog V11.27H fully supported logging and scoring,
with manual add of 100 Bonus Points for KS0KS.

Challenging exercise!  Saturday 60+ K-Index and 10+ A-Index with intense Solar
noise made 20 Meters pretty "sad" here in North Texas.  40 Meters was
the money band.  Sunday K-Index of 9 and A-Index of 3 made for better 20 Meter
conditions, and most 20 Meter contacts were made then.

Note, both days, I lost ALL ability to work into Kansas on 20 Meters from about
1700 UTC until after 2000 UTC.  What I observed both days is that I could HEAR
the KS stations by pointing due East during that afternoon period, actually
pretty strong.  They were not able to hear me calling.  I presume this was some
kind of sporadic E propagation, and with the huge F2 Layer signals from the East
Coast possibility of using that to an advantage did not happen for me.

With any of the close-in states, working stations during the day becomes hard.
40 held up well, and the short darkness period limited contacts on 80 Meters, in
part because the higher bands were full of signals for the Kansas crowd!  You go
where the contacts are!

I have 100% of the log also on MP3 (1.25 GB) and you can see the signal
conditions.  Worked a LOT of mobiles!  Feel good about hitting the 83 county
level, there were only two other counties that I heard that I wasn't able to
work as their pileups were too severe - did try!  Without more night time
operating time I don't know if getting all 105 counties can be done at this
distance.

My part of North Texas is 640 miles from Cheyenne County and 340 miles from
Cherokee County ... so this is all pretty clearly short-skip and potentially
back-scatter on the higher bands.  It would be nice to see if its possible for
Kansas, and other states, to have a concurrent "too close for all"
award for the folks who are distance-proximity challenged!

Mobile Report:  120 of my contacts were PROBABLY mobiles.  Leading the pack was
N0R with 15 QSOs, then W0E-14, N0K-14, W0R-11, K0A-9, N0A-9, W0L-9, W0Q-9,
N0U-8, W0O-7, N0T-6, N0Y-6, and W0N with 3.  That is the highest percentage of
total for a state QSO Party for mobiles for me!

Looking forward to next year, and see you all in TXQP!