[3830] ARRL UHF VE3CRU/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 31 15:53:32 EDT 2015

                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: EN82
Operating Time (hrs): 0.2 hr

  222:   0     0
  432:   0     0
  903:   0     0
  1.2:   2     2
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   2     1  Total Score = 3

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

The actual qso count is 1.  When I drove to Michigan the transmission acted up
at the border, and had serious problems entering the town the motel was in,
dropping to low and revving at 6 to 8k plus, redlined.  Met NE8I, let the car
cool overnight.  A test drive showed it would hold at highway speed so drove 30
miles to EN82em to start the contest.  Knew it was unwise to drive 2.5 hours
west to grid corners west of Grand Rapids so did 1 qso only with WB8TGY at 1832
and headed back to Canada.  Barely got overr the Detroit River bridge, gravity
took me down the other side.  Pushed it as far as I could.  Approaching London
on 402, went to pass an 18 wheeler and as I hit the passing lane the tranny
dropped out to low and stuck, so put 4 way flashers on, ducked behind the truck
and onto the shoulder.  Limped to first exit 3 miles further, London and was
stuck in the area for 3 nights.

Tranny shop assessed the damage Tuesday am and a tow home cost $505.  Final
cost of this rove was over $4000 including a used tranny, rental vehicle and
lodging.
Hoping for better days ahead.  OUCH !!!

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R