[3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 1 20:07:25 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NH

  160:    6     2        2
   80:   21     4       10
   40:  231    19       70
   20:  144    20       62
   15:  197    24       71
   10:   40    13       25

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My last entry in CQWW CW was 2011 - felt good to be back in a contest I enjoyed
a lot during my first few years of QRP contesting.  A good rainstorm quieted
the power line arc noise that has plagued me for the past year or so, at least
until the later afternoon on Sunday when things dried out.  Although I set out
only to have fun and perhaps snag a few new DX entities, I ended up setting a
new personal record for points in this contest.

The propagation surprises (at least for me) included nice JA openings on 15 and
20 meters in the 2100-2300Z time frame Saturday, and hearing several Chinese
stations on 40 meters in the early morning Sunday.  Regrettably, I couldn't
capitalize on these openings because of a lack of a N/S radiator - this
deficiency also made for very frustrating South American contacts that should
have been easy.  A real, even modest antenna for 80 meters would have made a
big difference too.  At least the necessary antenna farm improvements are clear
- now I just need some time to put them up.

Great ops all around, and I'm especially thankful to those who worked hard to
put QRP stations like mine in the log. My joy in this contest was tempered a
bit by the need to break away for a Saturday memorial service for Bob
O'Donnell, WW1V, who was an avid DXer and operated as DX from Kwajalein (V73)
years ago - may your family and friends find delight and consolation in their
memories of you.

73,
Mike, K8CN

Rig: K3 @ 5W, Lazy H cut for 20 meters and used on all bands with the help of