[3830] CQWW CW G5W(@G3BJ) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 2 05:25:21 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G5W
Operator(s): G3BJ G3NKC G4XUM
Station: G3BJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Woolston

  160:  647    20       81
   80: 1354    28      105
   40: 2041    40      139
   20: 1552    39      137
   15: 1255    38      148
   10:  453    30      108

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

This was a CQWW we will want to forget! One of our team dropped out six hours
before the start, so we were on "optimum under-manning". A big storm
had passed through ten days earlier and damaged one tower, which was still
usable, but at very reduced height. The main tower was kept low because of a
further storm forecast for the contest weekend.
During the contest one HF yagi failed in the high winds (I suspect weakened by
the 75 mph winds we had had ten days earlier and finally killed of by similar
gusts during the contest). We also had issues with the receive antennas -
somewhere in the shack there is a faulty coax feed, which is introducing noise
into the system.
So it was a weekend of frustration, but with some great conditions.160-15 were
humming, and even 10m gave a reasonable account of itself. Without the yagi
failure we could have made an extra 1.5-2M points, I feel. But there was some
great DX on 160 and 80 and it was nice to be called by some of it rather than
to have to queue in the cluster-created pile-ups.
Next year I hope we will be back to no failures! Thanks for all the Q's.