[3830] CQWW CW Z60WW(DL3DXX) SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 2 10:35:18 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: Z60WW
Operator(s): DL3DXX
Station: Z60WW

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: KN02MS

   40: 3372    40      144

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was a last minute decision to join the Albania & Kosovo goodwill
mission when I was asked by Martti Laine OH2BH for doing the Z60WW part.

Considering the flight baggage limitation I decided to take a lightweight
4-square vertical system and my K3 and just operate 40m single band. Martti
brought an ACOM1010 amplifier for me.

I had no idea what to expect just 16 years after civil war and turmoil
afterwards. Kosovo surprised me with friendly and helpful inhabitants, stable
electricity and a fast and reliable internet access. Thus I decided to operate
assisted because single band category can become boring on Sunday when the
pileups are thinned out.

The Z60 prefix was a special privilege to celebrate my 60th birthday that was
this year. However it was painful often to correct my call when I was called as
ZB0WW, ZX0WW, D60WW or similar. I expect some score reduction therefore and
suggest everybody to check your log. If you find  a different 0WW then
“Zulu-Sixty-WW” then it might be me…

In the first hours of the contest I did not try to set a record. I just enjoyed
the pileups and had doubt to compete with the other European super stations with
my modest 500 Watts output. More and more I felt how easy I was able to break
pileups for new multipliers.

I took 2 short sleeping breaks and 2 breaks for breakfast. For the food breaks
I was “un-assisted” because I had to enter the restaurant. I even could
have done better would not an unexpected interruption stopped my operation when
“dogs of the house” knocked down 3 of my 4-square spider poles during dark
time. Fortunately Driton Z61DX living nearby was alarmed and came immediately
to help me out with flash light and manpower to bring the poles back into
position.

I always have been a “multi-operator” man, mainly helping out at DR1A and
at DF0HQ in old GDR time. I wonder that I must have become 60 years to manage a
reasonable single-operator result…

This Z60WW operation will stay in my memory forever as a special moment. My
thank goes to all the people involved in this mission and the CQWW contest. I
hope to come back in near future. Last not leased I have to thank you all for
working me in the contest.

73 Dietmar DL3DXX