[3830] ARRL 160 N1CC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 11:19:42 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NTX

Total:  QSOs = 321  Sections = 53  Countries = 5  Total Score = 38,280

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 @ 100W to Inverted L 50' Vertical - 78' Horizontal
with 8 elevated radials each 65' long 8' high.  Fed with Current Choke and
inductor to match radials.  RX antenna Force 12 C3 @64 feet.  PRO-1B loop was
apparently damaged by last round of storms and now is only a "noise
generator" and is down for repairs.

Compromised receive situation was low noise however many signals were at the
same level as the S3 average noise level on the RX antenna.  I apologize to the
30+ callers that I could not copy well enough to have an exchange.

Roughly 47% of my contacts were made by calling CQ, the best mini-run was 31
QSOs -- during that run there were six additional callers I could not copy to
put in log.  On S&P 75% of the time I made the contact on my first call.
Conclusion is that I am somewhat of a mini-alligator, and must continue to work
out a better RX solution. The rate of 21.4 QPH was OK, and I could have done
more, however, I would run the band and work all I could hear, go to calling CQ
and then repeat the strategy,  There are perhaps 10 stations that I called that
never heard me, and over 30 that tried and I could only get partial calls.

The W1 Call area was a barren area for me, only W1WMU in ME ... the other 17
that appear to have been on were never audible here.  Overall, activity seemed
to be down from the past two years.  There were some obvious radical changes in
propagation, to include one 30-minute period aurora-like buzz on most signals
Saturday 0200Z.

Another fun, learning experience!  See you all on 10 Meters next!