[3830] ARRL 160 W4IX SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 12:47:55 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 26:41

Total:  QSOs = 1149  Sections = 77  Countries = 12  Total Score = 208,260

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Glad I was home long enough to work this one. Had SWR issues with the Inv. L and
thought maybe the wire fell out of the trees, but after a little work, found a
bad feed section. Replaced the feed and cut a little bit off the L and had a
flat SWR @ 1825, YES! I decided to do SOLP Unlimited. My logging computer does
not have an Ethernet card so I used my laptop and connected it to the RBN
Homepage and set up for 25 lines. I put the laptop in front of me on top of the
FT1000 and while running I would write down 20 calls and freq's on a notepad,
then I would use the 2nf VFO to tune these freq's and work the station if it
was there, then cross of the call. I used this method the entire contest. it
got to the point where I could tell if there was any calls I needed. At one
point there was just not anyone left to work on the cluster. The rates almost
stopped completely. Around 1300Z the first morning the run rate was at zero and
only a few needed calls popped up on the RBN page and those guys CQed in my face
so I pulled the plug. Wound up with 803 Q's and 67 mults. A few Europeans made
it into the log. The loudes of the Euros had so many guys calling them that I
did not spend much time trying. 2nd night started off slow and kept that way
most of the night. A few new mults called in a found the others on the cluster.
Rates were slow. The west coast started coming in early but most of the guys
could not copy my low power signal. then around 0500Z, I had an amazing run of
west coast 6's & 7's call in. That was neat!! Missed WTX,LAX,SB,SJV,AK
& NT. Not bad! Best ears go to KH6LC. I listened for them for quite awhile
on my TX antenna but never heard them. I tried once on my NW bev and they just
came out of the noise for a bit and I called them. I couldn't believe it when
they came back to me! After many unanswered cq's and zero new stations to work
on the cluster, I called it quits at 0800Z. Thanks everyone for the QSO's.
FT-1000 MarkV
Inv L @ 50 ft.
350' NE Beverage
600' NW Beverage